Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't like the add on lights, I want a "factory" in bumper experience.

Anyone tried these?

Looks like there is a fog light button, as well as a DRL button. Not sure when the LED strip turns on?

The price is right. Not sure how many hours for install?

And what's up with not providing installation directions? Is it really that easy to install? ?

Here's the cables, switches and other hardware.

7 cables for 2 lights? ?

Please advise.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I have the ones that are just a single fog light in each wing.

Those are and will be junk...just like mine. Any of these cheap Chinese kits are the worst quality.

Not too long after install and regular use, the chrome reflectors in these knockoff lights started to burn up and melt. They never actually even put out any real usable light either. Also had some of the poorly connected wiring start to melt some. Now, all the paint is starting to flake off of them.

I remedied the light housings by retrofitting OEM ones from a Tacoma. Wont melt and throw OEM light. I fixed any of the chintzy plugs with better ones / better connections. Next I will repaint the housings silver again. Basically all I have used from the kit is the plastic housings and even on them the clips that attach them to the bumper are half as thick as OEM.

I have seen them on a few trucks and they look fine. My opinion is those ones with all the DRLs and LEDs look super cheesey in general, but again...They look nice out of the box, but these kits are pretty poorly made.

Reactions: ZerosFJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the ones that are just a single fog light in each wing.

Those are and will be junk...just like mine. Any of these cheap Chinese kits are the worst quality.

Not too long after install and regular use, the chrome reflectors in these knockoff lights started to burn up and melt. They never actually even put out any real usable light either. Also had some of the poorly connected wiring start to melt some. Now, all the paint is starting to flake off of them.

I remedied the light housings by retrofitting OEM ones from a Tacoma. Wont melt and throw OEM light. I fixed any of the chintzy plugs with better ones / better connections. Next I will repaint the housings silver again. Basically all I have used from the kit is the plastic housings and even on them the clips that attach them to the bumper are half as thick as OEM.

I have seen them on a few trucks and they look fine. My opinion is those ones with all the DRLs and LEDs look super cheesey in general, but again...They look nice out of the box, but these kits are pretty poorly made.
That's what I was concerned about--low quality parts, since I couldn't find any OEM fogs. I was more interested in the DRL and the "cool, modern" look of LED strips in the headlight assembly.

I upgraded my other Toyota vehicle with LED headlights and it had that "cheesy" LED strip. It's distinct and modern and the look grows on you with time, as everything modern does.

Just bought a 2007 FJ a couple days ago and just noticed it already has DRL installed from the factory.

When I turn on the engine, the front headlights come on, but at reduced brightness of regular low beam.

As far as fog lights, for my location (high desert), there's very seldom is fog at night.

The desert southwest ain't foggy London, Redondo Beach or even Fresno in the winter, where thick fog has caused hundreds of cars to collide on the freeway before.

Driving with fog lights when there is no fog can be annoying to other drivers anyway. ?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I think they do make some nice LED DRL style replacement headlights for these trucks. May be a more quality way to go.

If you do find a solution you like, turning off the OEM DRL is as simple as disconnecting one plug behind the driver side headlamp.

I did say fog lights, but meant driving lights since that is what they actually are on Tacomas, 4Runners, ect. The added lighting on the sides of the road at night is rather nice. If we could easily source the proper OEM kit, like that comes on UAE trucks for example, then it would totally be worth it. I think that style you were after did come stock on some overseas 2012+ maybe... Kind of guessing there.

Reactions: Pirateracer

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
@RockyMileHigh
Don't buy those chinese ebay ones. Terrible quality.
Here is my previous thread on the OEM ones. Page 3 has details

I did say fog lights, but meant driving lights since that is what they actually are on Tacomas, 4Runners, ect. The added lighting on the sides of the road at night is rather nice. If we could easily source the proper OEM kit, like that comes on UAE trucks for example, then it would totally be worth it. I think that style you were after did come stock on some overseas 2012+ maybe... Kind of guessing there.
Yup, it does great on late night driving. I see vendors selling direct from UAE and Toyota Dealers in Japan, online. You can buy from there. Yup you are right, they were available OEM in other markets. I love mine, and use them all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RockyMileHigh
Don't buy those chinese ebay ones. Terrible quality.
Here is my previous thread on the OEM ones. Page 3 has details

Yup, it does great on late night driving. I see vendors selling direct from UAE and Toyota Dealers in Japan, online. You can buy from there. Yup you are right, they were available OEM in other markets. I love mine, and use them all the time.

View attachment 1126107 View attachment 1126108
Cool look, they're ROUND which match the headlights.

Also interesting your side marker lights are AMBER.

I'm definitely changing the white bulbs to amber. Why?

1) It's the law. Side marker lights = amber, not white.

2) Fog lights are for fog, not dry weather. I know they come on many cars & trucks as part of higher trim levels, but they're cosmetic. Using fog lights when there's no fog is ANNOYING to other incoming drivers. Sure, they provide additional illumination, but running fogs in dry weather is ILLEGAL in some jurisdictions.

I think I will just buff out the scratches on my headlights and install amber lights in the side mirrors and call it a day.

I like to be 100% street legal so as to avoid any intersection with Johnny Law, which can have unpredictable and sometimes deadly results. :)

From Wiki:
In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of front fog lamps and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. An SAE study has shown that in the United States more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[19] Because of this, use of the fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited in most jurisdictions; for example, in New South Wales, Australia:

The driver of a vehicle must not use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility.[20

1 - 6 of 6 Posts