Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving and dropping a friend off going down a steep hill. Me being the smart guy I am started braking essentially at the top of the hill. But wait, I didn't slow down panicked and tried to e-brake and everything. Inevitably it ended horribly. I ended up hitting a car at the bottom of the hill (parked no less). I think I was going maybe 20 MPH max since my front bumper barely got pushed in. But when I got out to check the damage on both cars I noticed their passenger door was bent. So I waited for the owner or someone knowing the owner to come out. Stupid black ice in Boston. Every other road was salted except the hill I slid on. So fricken pissed.

Eventually someone did come out and I got their info and contact info of the owner. Apparently other people have hit her car as well but just drove off. The car I hit was an old RAV4 probably 1998 or something because of the style and color. So I was like maybe the door wasn't my fault. Funny thing is her car is pressed up against a guard rail as well. I was like wow this person was screwed. Some guys came over to help since they managed ice and snow for a hospital in the area. Was nice and helped me call the police 3 times. Almost got hit by another car going down that hill. I was like holy crap.

First thing I noticed was my bumper was damaged. Got tired of waiting for the cops at 1am for a half hour so I went home. Next day I notice I am missing a piece of my FJ. I was like DAMN IT! I hope insurance covers everything and my points don't go up. I tried to take pictures of the ice with my phone but it was dark and the street light didn't help much. Long story short I want to know what this piece is called.

Also the silver trim piece that goes around my lights popped out on one side. I am not happy since I also have to replace an inner tie rod, at least I can do that myself. Not sure about this though, most of it is just bolting it on and off. But I am not going to touch it since I think their might be misalignment in my frame and stuff.

So much crap has happened to my FJ since this year began. Like a car getting my passenger side front fender with their mirror when I was parked. Or when another truck with a tow hitch hit my silver wing on my drivers side when I was parked at another event. My poor FJ, I need to know how to fix its wounds. Had this baby since 2007, its an 2008 AT FJC.

First post on the forum, but I have visited the site a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
That missing piece is like $30 or was it $60?

I lost one on a trail that I though my bull bar would move a stick. Instead it just pinned the stick there and turned the stick into a lever against it. It's just plastic and if nothing else is broke it should just snap right in.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt... You should be able to patch it up pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Well its scratched now so you can go out guilt free and go wheeling!!! :rofl:

Growing up in the mountains I know the Black Ice and hills all to well.. Glad to hear you werent hurt. ALSO glad to hear you Actually made the effort to contact someone and not just drive off in the Dark.. We need more honest Poeple like your self!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
ALSO glad to hear you Actually made the effort to contact someone and not just drive off in the Dark.. We need more honest Poeple like your self!
X2 on that. I've been the victim of hit and run twice (luckily not in my FJ). Glad you weren't hurt, I'd have dueced in my pants sliding around like that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The plastic piece in the picture looks like the front bumper side support. Part number depends on which side of the FJ is damaged.

Try Toyota of Dallas (forum vendor) for the part. It's about $20 plus shipping.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will get in contact wit Toyota Dallas.

*UPDATE*
Found out I have to pay for the fricken damage out of pocket for my car and hers. Why? Apparently I am inbetween insurance policies, and my new one doesn't start until April! But she has lots of damage (I wasn't the only one who hit her car.) I think worst damage I possibly could have done was her door, but with the way my bumper looks I don't even think I damaged that door and it was someone else.

But it is so bad I will try to help her out. She drives a dinky 1997 RAV4. She is better off parting that thing out and getting a new car honestly because when I looked at it that night, apparently someone hit her rear axle (that is what her roommate said) and she can't move the car which spells trouble.

I will post up pictures of the terrible hill when I get the chance.

I hate black ice so bad right now. And I rounded my stupid castle nut when I was trying to change up inner tie rod and remove the outer. SOB and my FJ is a DD.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Apparently not...:cowfrown:

Why? Apparently I am in between insurance policies, and my new one doesn't start until April!
You need to get a new insurance company.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Unfortunate circumstance, BUT.........no matter which way you cut it, "in-between" policies means "UNISURED", even if it's only a day.

Gonna be an expensive lesson, but not as bad as it could have been (like maybe injuries involved), and the long lasting memories of this mishap should probably keep you from ever having another "in-between" situation, and hopefully you never have another accident.

Best Wishes

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In between because they were giving a hard time to renew the insurance. The name that the insurance is not my own (brother) but I am one of the covered drivers. Had I known the FJ wasn't covered I wouldn't have driven it even though it is my DD and would have made arrangements.

Also I just want to put some perspective on this, I am a college student studying to be an ME and this is my first real accident involving another car.

One was ice causing me to skid into a hydrant (was pissed) last year.. And one where my swing-arm bent and apparently it wasn't covered by warranty 2 years back. I have no idea what I hit, but I walked around to try to figure out what is was and no one had damage near me. I was pissed. Luckily no damage to other parts of the frame and no injuries. Atleast I know my FJ isn't a baby, but I shouldn't keep pushing it. My wallet is going to hurt after this thing is over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts