Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a member of our community had a not so fun accident last night...

While driving through Ontario, Oregon forum member @Shake_&_Bake, or "Bakes FJ" as you may know him from Facebook or BakesFJ.com, hit a patch of black ice and wound up upside-down! :mecry:

Here are some photos and here is the quote from Baker himself of Facebook:

"Time to "one-up" 2016! Ashlie and I are ok! The FJ did its job and kept us safe.

As we were passing through Ontario, OR yesterday we spotted a baby bald eagle stranded in the middle of the highway. It was obvious that he fell from his freedom nest perched high above America.

I did full reverse rudder and other evasive maneuvers, but it was to late. Before I knew it we were on our roof, making upside down FJ snow angles.

Seeing our actions from above, momma eagle swooped down, grabbing the FJ with her mighty talons and flipped us back over.

...apparently, I'm wrong in remembering exactly what happened. Ashlie just informed me we hit ice and a tow truck flipped us back over. Guess I need to change my statement on the police report!

Huge thanks to Scott Howard who stopped to check on us and let us use his truck for warmth until we got stuff figured out. Your kindness is much appreciated sir!

Also, thanks to the Oregon State Trooper for his patience, kindness and help. Stay safe out there brother.
"

Looks like he made a news page too! Multiple crashes, slide-offs close I-84 between Pendleton, Ontario | KBOI

Glad Baker and Mrs. Bakes FJ are doing fine and hope everything works out for him getting the FJ either replaced or repaired!

Stay safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Great to hear they are ok and that he has a sense of humor about it! Hope he can recover quickly and get back to what he loves!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We drove that stretch last week coming back from Canada and it was pretty knarly. Good to see they are ok.

·
トヨタ Master
8,949 Posts
$h!t'll buff out!:lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's pretty knarly but most importantly they are safe. Love the the photo of bakes FJ standing on his skids.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Glad they're ok. I guess it's a rare opportunity to show off the skids to the world.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Glad and hope everything stays good with those 2. Also hope it's not the end for him and his FJ adventures

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I think that's fixable. The rest of the truck looks to be in great shape. From the pictures even the A pillars look to be in good shape. Roof replacement?? It doesn`t seem out of the question :)

Reactions: amaclach

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that's fixable. The rest of the truck looks to be in great shape. From the pictures even the A pillars look to be in good shape. Roof replacement?? It doesn`t seem out of the question :)
How about removing the roof?! :thinkerg:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good everyone made it out safe!

You cannot account for ice. It's unpredictable and even though you may be going slow it makes absolutely no difference at all.
I distinctly remember I was in my old 4runner (1st gen) years ago just causally driving down a snow covered street in 4 wheel drive when the 4runner decided to lose traction and I started drifting into an oncoming bus. Luckily I didn't panic and just hit the brakes. Instead I shifted up a gear and eased the throttle. Traction regained and I gingerly guided the truck back into my lane. No harm done except for streaks in the ginch.
I always think back to that and I could have easily given the brakes a stomp and who knows what could have happened then.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts