Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building up my new black FJ. Got several ideas , but would like to hear from experts.Appreciate your advices

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello and welcome. I would suggest to look through the member build part of the forum and check out all the pictures. The idea are endless. :cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideas are the Following :
1- Full Black Matte body paint
2- ARB delux Bullbar
3- Full suspension Kit
4- New Winch
5- Wheels
6- Tires
7- ARB Rear Bumper
8- IPF front lights

please advise since i need to make decisions by next week

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome. I would suggest to look through the member build part of the forum and check out all the pictures. The idea are endless. :cheers:
Thanks . actually i have been seing a lot of pictures and this what made more confused :thinkerg:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks . actually i have been seing a lot of pictures and this what made more confused :thinkerg:
It is tough. I'm in the process of my build also, and I keep changing my mind for what I want to do next. It's a fun problem to have I guess. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you linex your fj itll be pretty much unscratchable. Just something to think about. Ive wanted to do it for a LONG time now....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you linex your fj itll be pretty much unscratchable. Just something to think about. Ive wanted to do it for a LONG time now....
Thanks for the advice. I will check if it is available. I like what you did with your FJ by the way.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Although I'm not a paint expert, I would not suggest painting your truck Matte Black unless its going to be an on-road only truck. This is because with matte black paint you cant just buff out scratches, meaning that if you get trail rash, you will have to repaint the entire truck. Although I'm not sure why this is, I would guess its because the Matte colors don't have any clear coat and it makes it really hard to blend new paint without redoing the whole thing. I could be completely wrong though. I would also suggest the Line-x as an alternative to the matte black paint.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dear all, just to inform you that already the car is being modified now.wait for the outcome after 20 days now.
the decision i made after your advices and what i have seen in this great forum is as follows :
1) Complete black pearl matte color ( with a protection layer that will prevent scratches . not a linex but i believe it will do the job)
2) ARB Delux front Bumper
3) ARB Rear bumper
4) OME complete suspension with a 3" lift ( dont ask me about the type because i forgot to ask)
5) Safari snorkel
6) ARB front locker
7) Winch
8) BFG all terrain 285/70/17

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
How about rubberized clear coat?

This is something I just put on the lower panels, front valence, and front of the hood of my FJ60 since these areas seem to be continually chipped from rocks both on and off the road. It's definitely not a matte finish, but it is supposed to be nearly impervious to scratches (so far I believe this to be true, but I have not been abusive to it). I assume it would be way less expensive than Line-X. I believe it has been used more commonly on the lower rocker panels of vehicles to prevent rock chipping. I think it actually looks pretty cool too and it doesn't adversely affect the overall look of the Cruiser. I don't know if anyone has more experience with this but I like how it's working for me so far and have thought it would be cool to do it to all the painted surface of an FJ Cruiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Although I'm not a paint expert, I would not suggest painting your truck Matte Black unless its going to be an on-road only truck. This is because with matte black paint you cant just buff out scratches, meaning that if you get trail rash, you will have to repaint the entire truck. Although I'm not sure why this is, I would guess its because the Matte colors don't have any clear coat and it makes it really hard to blend new paint without redoing the whole thing. I could be completely wrong though. I would also suggest the Line-x as an alternative to the matte black paint.
I'm not a paint expert but I believe you can clear matte paint. The issue comes with buffing. You can't do it too often or you actually buff the matte portion out of the paint and it becomes shiny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts