Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, a higher end body shop in my area that does great work gave me a price of 2000.00 to do a black out on my 2011 black FJC. it includes, paint to match bumper caps and bumper inserts front and rear, mirrors, door handles, grill surround, and the whole roof. this is all body color black, not flat black. does this sound like a good price? also included are a set of 5 eagle alloy 1402s in the super black polished finish. they are leaving the lips polished but color matching the centers. should look bad ass when done. just want to make sure the price is on par. not looking for it for free, just want to be in the ball park. also havent shopped a price. i like this place and trust their work. thanks

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
That is at least a two day job to disassemble all that stuff prep it paint it take the tires off put them back on masking the wheels the grill has to be removed lots of other stuff to be removed as well and then labor to put it all back on too. I assume there using a high quality paint too? I would say that is a good deal especially from a higher end shop. Post pics when your done I would love to see it.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
guys, a higher end body shop in my area that does great work gave me a price of 2000.00 to do a black out on my 2011 black FJC. it includes, paint to match bumper caps and bumper inserts front and rear, mirrors, door handles, grill surround, and the whole roof. this is all body color black, not flat black. does this sound like a good price? also included are a set of 5 eagle alloy 1402s in the super black polished finish. they are leaving the lips polished but color matching the centers. should look bad ass when done. just want to make sure the price is on par. not looking for it for free, just want to be in the ball park. also havent shopped a price. i like this place and trust their work. thanks
WOW thats ALot for no more than they are painting. they wont use more then 200$ in Paint. I can see using a Body shop for the roof but WOW $2 Grand....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got 3 estimates for my 2011 Iceberg all from reputable body shops. One was for 900, another for 1200 and another for 1500 (without roof). The one that gave me the estimate for 1500 said that for that much, I would be better off spending and extra 200 and buying the black parts and having them installed. All three said that they will not get 100% match because the existing black parts are roughened whereas the silver parts are smooth.
Because of the difference in texture, it will look slightly different... has that been everyones experience who has had their FJ blacked out??

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I got 3 estimates for my 2011 Iceberg all from reputable body shops. One was for 900, another for 1200 and another for 1500 (without roof). The one that gave me the estimate for 1500 said that for that much, I would be better off spending and extra 200 and buying the black parts and having them installed. All three said that they will not get 100% match because the existing black parts are roughened whereas the silver parts are smooth.
Because of the difference in texture, it will look slightly different... has that been everyones experience who has had their FJ blacked out??
This is a true Statement. COlored Plastic parts and Painted plactic will always be slightly bifferent in color, as will smooth verses textured. ANother factor is if you have a older vehicle... the colors will SLightly Fade and though not noticable, when placed directly beside freshly painted my be noticable

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you don't have access to a professional paint booth, with the required skills to shoot that roof, then yes this is an acceptable price.

-650 rims
-150 paint
-100 clearcoat

Depending on how many people work on the job, Id say 1-2 max, its 3 day job. tear down , paint, reassemble. 24 hours. 1100/ 24 = 45 $ an hour.

That's not too bad. Cost me a grand to get an exhaust and headers put on in about 1 day. Not only would it be impossible for me to do, I had someone to blame when something went wrong, and that right there is priceless!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Am I the only one who noticed that his quoted price INCLUDES a set of 5 wheels? Not just painting them, so adding the value of these wheels (say, 145 apiece) sounds like a fantastic deal if this is the case.

Am I reading it wrong?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Am I the only one who noticed that his quoted price INCLUDES a set of 5 wheels? Not just painting them, so adding the value of these wheels (say, 145 apiece) sounds like a fantastic deal if this is the case.

Am I reading it wrong?
I put it in my break down above! In fact after laying it out, ive convinced myself to go get my roof painted (Finally) but because I was quoted 5 k to paint the whole truck, and well if I had 5k Im sure my girl would know and she would have forcefully allocated said funds to purchasing the ring she wants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Am I reading it wrong?
you are correct. the estimate shows 39 hours total to do the job. the 5 wheels are new in the box, they are not doing the tire swap/balance. that price also includes 5 year warranty any any thing paint or labor related that fails including rim paint. like another member said, the right to have somebody to go back to is worth alot to me. the more i think about it 2 grand is pretty good. also the bumper caps and grill surround will be body color gloss black, as well as the mirrors/door handles.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I put it in my break down above! In fact after laying it out, ive convinced myself to go get my roof painted (Finally)
Ah. I see that now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts