Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this has been covered before, I searched but can't find the answer....
What is the finish of the OEM black out parts, is it gloss, satin or Matt painted finish or is it plain black plastic? I'm in the UK and have never actually seen the parts and there aren't many FJ's here to check. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
553 Posts
Hi Julian,

The bumpers are plain black plastic. The bumpers are black and then painted silver on most FJ's. You may want to spray paint your current bumpers and then buy and replace the door handles as they will show wear. This is something other folks have done. A long time ago Hannibal on the forum pointed out that the black color is below the paint. Something you may want to try is aircraft paint stripper. Pick an area under the bumper the that is not seen, tape it off and try the paint stripper. If it works you will not need to worry about the bumpers / items getting scuffed.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
632 Posts
Julian,
My first project on my FJ was to black-out all the exterior silver bits. Photo attached for your reference. Certainly not necessary but I prefer the look. To achieve the best results, I recommend removing each piece, properly prep them and paint them while off the vehicle. Let the paint cure over night prior to re-attaching them.

I used a satin finish. Having said that, I've discovered over the years that Satin and Matt finishes can vary in luster depending on the brand of paint. You might want to experiment with a single can of each finish before purchasing additional cans of paint. I do not recommend Flat or Gloss.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
17,001 Posts

Amazon also sells these.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Regarding the black finish: if you do paint with whatever type of black you purchase (rustoleum professional is my favorite) you can easily change the luster with a glossy or flat clear coat. Just some more options to try to get to match. The stock fj is not gloss or flat, more of a satin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks People - @Fjhugo1 thats exactly what I was after
I am going to paint my silver ones, shipping costs make even professional painting here the better option.
I am just trying to get as close as I can to the factory finish

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks People - @Fjhugo1 thats exactly what I was after
I am going to paint my silver ones, shipping costs make even professional painting here the better option.
I am just trying to get as close as I can to the factory finish
If you want an exact paint match and want to see what it looks like, the silver center valence on the back of your bumper is your best bet. Get some paint remover and apply it to that. I found that valence to be the easiest painted part that can get paint removed easily. I tried the same to the bumper wings but it did not come off as easier.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I recommend you remove the silver paint first. This is especially important on the front bumper. Rock chips will expose the silver and make it look like glitter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts