Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Black Plastic

You dont really see the scratches on the plastic, it more on the paint, but I would just put some Armor All for a temporary solution.:cool:

·
Registered
291 Posts

I am not sure but I think there is not a permenate fix armoral or black magic just hides it for a while...I leave mine that way the next one don't seam as bad...sorta like new shoes.

·
Registered
458 Posts

I have been considering this same thing lately, and have decided that I am going to try "buffing" them out using different cloths, starting with micro fiber rags that I have and stepping up with coarser fabrics. I think getting the raised plastic from the lighter scratches buffed down should minimize the appearance. I guess I will find out.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts

I have not tried this on the FJC but have had very good luck with this on other types of black plastic.....

Fill in the scratch with permanent magic marker (Sharpie) then after a few seconds rub it with your finger tip for a few moments, sort of like buffing it out.

Try it in an area you really dont see for the fist test.
Then clean your finger!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I accidentaly scratched some of the switch console plastic when I was intalling a set of PIAA 520i fog lights by letting the switch console rub unknowingly against the exposed metal threads of the gear shifters. I now wrap those sharp little *#%@! with electrical tap.

I took a sheet of "BOUNCE FABRIC SOFTNER", Mountain fresh scent I think, and gently rubbed the area. It worked pretty good. I then took some of the Turtle Wax brand "ICE" interior cleaner and applied a coat of that. The effect was good.

I have heard, but have not tried myself, the use of a small dab of either Turtle Wax polishing compound and or rubbing compound on the scratch followed by a silicone based material like the ICE or Amourall (Mr. Yuck)

Good Luck

kroley

·
Registered
947 Posts
I picked up the 303 and it works very well on the exterior... keeps a nice black, hides some marks, and doesnt collect dust! But contrary to many opinions, it is somewhat greasy, and I havent tried it on the interior (yet).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts