Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I enjoyed a pleasant trip to the Black River Falls State Forest over the weekend. My son and I obtained a backpacking permit (free) and spent two days cruising the unimproved roads in the area, hiking and camping.

You will find numerous unimproved roads in the area, that wind through forest scenery and are primarily sand. They are ideal for those who want to give their vehicle a little exercise, but are not looking to test the limits. Most are fairly level with an occasional low spot or a bit of mud. No hill climbs or rock crawling to speak of. If very wet, many of these roads would become more interesting.

A good place to look for some of this scenic, rather gentle wheeling is in the vicinity of Kling and Shale Roads. A nice, unimproved road to run is about a mile north of the intersection of N. Settlement Road and Shale Road. It is on most maps and skirts Wild Cat "Mountain." The above image was taken on that road.

Many of the roads we explored end in turn around areas that appear to serve as hunting camps or staging areas. One had a prominent meat pole permanently slung between two trees. Most roads dead end sooner or later.

If you are going solo, or maybe with a just small group, and you are more interested in just some relaxing wheeling then trying to duplicate the Camel Trophy, this is not a bad area to check out. There are many bermed and gated roads here. Obviously, one should respect all closures, remain on the road and otherwise tread lightly so that these enjoyable open roads don't meet the same fate.

Dave in Wisconsin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry! Pics wer messed up - you shoudl be able to see them now . . .:blockhead:

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Nice pics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts