Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:boohoo: Has anyone else run into their 2008 Trail Teams Black rims fading, or dulling? I recently got back from a year long deployment and when I washed my FJ, and more specifically the rims, I noticed that they are looking like crap. Anyone run to the dealership to claim this and get new rims? Just curious.

-BB

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use "Meguiars Hot Shine" in aerosol form (black can). Not too sure about its long term effects but I can tell you that it gets my TRDs looking brand-spanking-new. To answer your question, though, my black rims look a little weathered too. Also, a sincere thank you for your service and sacrifice to our great country.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
One vet to another I salute you for your service! and thank you for it to!

As far as the wheels fading.............so do the black steelies. I think ya need to polish &/or wax them annually. What a PIA, I know, but whattya gonna do?

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey guys, I have to think it's not just the black TRD's. I have silver TRD's on my 2008 and noticed lately that the paint is looking weathered and even has what appears to be cracks all through the finish. I am considering painting mine but I hate to paint over the original silver with it looking like it does, it just might ruin the new paint job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had Ivan Stewart TRD wheels on my Tacoma and they were a pain to keep up. I am convinced the TRD's finish isn't that great. I have a 2010 FJ with Toyota 16" wheels and that's what I'll keep. I've found the TRD rims hard to keep up.
From an old Veit Nam vet, thank you for your dedication and service to our country.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
It may sound funny but I use Pledge on mine and it makes em look brand new again. I think it is just the wheels finish that makes it look faded, I think they just need extra care to maintain that blacker look. I use like the orange can Pledge not the traditional yellow/brown can for wood pledge. There is a Pledge also called Pledge with protection plus, sometimes it is hard to find but it works good.

Sounds weird but it works.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I took mine off at 500 miles. They have been in my garage covered since and are faded.
Flat finishes just do not hold up

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
after 3 runs in Pine Barrens, I also noticed the fading... I sold the set before they turn silver :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW!!! Thank you all for the ideas and responses! I wasn't expecting so many responses so quickly. I will give some of these ideas a try.

Sitting in Delaram, Afghanistan for a year and looking out at the Mars landscape I sure was missing my FJ. One of these years it will be a good place to do some off-roading in something other than an MRAP.........maybe.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I wouldn't waste any money painting them. Powdercoating is the way to go!

Some places charge as low as $35 per wheel, hard to beat that..

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It may sound funny but I use Pledge on mine and it makes em look brand new again. I think it is just the wheels finish that makes it look faded, I think they just need extra care to maintain that blacker look. I use like the orange can Pledge not the traditional yellow/brown can for wood pledge. There is a Pledge also called Pledge with protection plus, sometimes it is hard to find but it works good.

Sounds weird but it works.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I cannot believe this worked as well as it did. If it even lasts for a week it's totally worth it. I was going to send my TT wheels to PC, not anymore :bigthumb:!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I cannot believe this worked as well as it did. If it even lasts for a week it's totally worth it. I was going to send my TT wheels to PC, not anymore :bigthumb:!
Cool I am glad someone tried it besides me, the stuff makes my wheels look brand new! It may not last forever but it is easy to do and cheap, no different from washing the FJ from time to time:cheers:

Glad I could help:bigthumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
From one OEF vet to another, thanks for your service and welcome back! Glad you came home safely. I know what it's like to miss your FJ in what seems like an off road haven. I have the same issue with my TT wheels, but mine have a lot of knicks and chips from rocks. Gonna powder coat them soon! Well again, welcome back and enjoy your FJ!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,240 Posts
Mine is an 07 and they are definatly fading, plus they have been scraped up on the trails and stuff so i definatly want to repaint them

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,240 Posts
Also, as far as TRD wheels fading, has anyone noticed the red letters on their TRD wheels fading?? That or if you have a TRD, the TRD letters on your rear door's TRD badge fading? Mine are and I'm just wondering how should I go about touching them up or bringing them back to life??

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
My 08 TT black rims have a oxidized or chalky etched look to them as well I am just planning to do something with mine now that the weather is better and roads are cleaned ....FYI I have cleaned them and used Protectant on them regularly. I don't believe they are pow coated because when I did new tires the sh..t doing the mount put a number of healthy scratches on them ,almost made him buy new but he got the idea after I complained . I think a good cleaning and wax stripper would prep them for a good satin finish paint or maybe a PC job but then you have to go through the re , re and balance of the tires also would have to remove the TPS . Any way your not alone.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Also, as far as TRD wheels fading, has anyone noticed the red letters on their TRD wheels fading?? That or if you have a TRD, the TRD letters on your rear door's TRD badge fading? Mine are and I'm just wondering how should I go about touching them up or bringing them back to life??
I am glad I dropped in this site , having same issues with the red lettering on the wheel caps .
I thought I would try and mask off as much of the black as I can and then using very light coats build up the red color BUT in between the coats take a cotton rag with thinner on it wipe of the cap hopefully leaving the red behind like new. As for the badge mines a TT not sure what you have exactly.
Another out there thought is to do as I said with cap but after the red has dried for 48 hours or so mix up a paste thickness of flour and water, fill the red full wipe with a dry rag ,let dry hard then wipe with a damp cloth, respray the complete cap black. the flour water mix will wash out when all paint is dry .. Hopefully Wala like new.... Maybe someone else has a proven way other than buying new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts