Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OKay rims are done and back on the FJ. Id like to thank smalls for the how to. That really gave me the inspiration to do this on my own.
I followed his instructions pretty much. I only used three cans of wheel paint and i applied 2 coats to the rear and 4 to the front, liberally. So now i have one for touch ups i guess.

I also had a can of clear coat. I applied one coat. This turned it more from a satin finish to more the consistency of a powder coat (looking) finish. I like it. I am not a huge fan of the white letters now that the wheels are black though. So i may get them turned around (and probably have to do some touch up painting after that).
I also was at 5000 on the tires so i took them all off to do a rotation. I only had two jacks so i had to get creative. One of my jack stands was an anvil i had laying around! So threads suck without pictures, so here you are from start to finish.
On the way to pepboys and someone still hasn't woken up.

the tools for the job at hand.

the obligatory before shot.

Here is me being creative since only 2 jack stands.(i do not recommend using this technique, but i was safe about it)

started to prime

the caps

my mini paint shop

looking good.

TADAAAAA!

one more

I think they came out great.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
thought i needed this space, but i guess not.

What do you guys think??? How does she look?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If your spare is in the rotation, it's easier with the 2 jacks.

G

·
Looks good! The blacked out wheels make the car look as if it was floating!
LOL!

I'm just afraid of the nicks and little dents that pop up after driving a few miles. Paint is cool but its not durable.

Also... in the future I wouldn't suggest using a cinder block as a jack stand because you never know how porous it is and it may give with out notice.

-B

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks good! The blacked out wheels make the car look as if it was floating!
LOL!

I'm just afraid of the nicks and little dents that pop up after driving a few miles. Paint is cool but its not durable.

Also... in the future I wouldn't suggest using a cinder block as a jack stand because you never know how porous it is and it may give with out notice.

-B
If you check out Smalls' original thread, he says they are holding up fairly well. When offroad, your gonna get scratches with either powdercoat or paint but the paint is a lot easier to touch-up.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you check out Smalls' original thread, he says they are holding up fairly well. When offroad, your gonna get scratches with either powdercoat or paint but the paint is a lot easier to touch-up.
Yeah that was part of the reason i did this. I had some big scratches to the faces of the alloys from trails. It doesn't take much at all to mar up the finish on the face of the alloys. This way, i can fix it when it happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks great, really makes the FJ look tough. by the way i painted my alloys about 10 months ago and have been to anza borrego a few time and also had new tires put on and the paint has held up extremely well. So hope that gives you a little confidence in the durability haha.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Looks really good!

PS; I sometimes work with allot of block on some of my projects. PLEASE do not use it to support your rig it's not safe!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Looks good!
Thats a nice looking Golden!;)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sweet! Nice job on the rims.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I spent just about the whole day on this project wanting to take my time and do it the best i could. My only injury the whole day was burning my arm on the casing of that little light i was using.

Looking at them in the daylight they look great. I only get a chance to wheel about 1-2 times a month and no rocks here. So i probably won't have to touch them up that much. i think the silver lugs and toyota logo is a good look. It breaks up the solid black. Maybe i will get some voodoo paint for the logo :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
547 Posts
looks sweet!thats actually my plan as soon as I can affor the BFGs. good thing no one farted toward your truck when it was "jacked" up!! lol way to get it done n b creative. I wouldnt try it though.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Layton, Those look AWESOME!!!! I want to do that TOO!!!!

Kim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.