Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, just put the OME med kit on and needing some new tires, going with the BFG AT TA/KOs in 285/75r16 in a D load range. I want to mount them black side out but the attention-to-detail sickness I suffer from it still bugs the crap outta me having the white letters show on the inside. Yes I used the search function for hours and have looked all over the net for a solution and here's what I know:

- No, you can't just grind/cut/scrape it off, the white letters on BFGs are actually the rubber compound

- So, you have to color/paint over it in some fashion. The options I have found so far are:
1. Sharpie-option sucks leaving a gray hue
2. Miller Tire Black- again sucks wipes off too easy
3. Kiwi black leather shoe dye- might be the winner, not sure if anyones done it (pics?)
4. Black undercoating spray- not a bad option but not permanent, have to reapply
5. Krylon sticks to any-suface type paint- maybe the winner but again have to reapply

Hoping one of the cagey-veteran type forum guys has a good solution and can help a brother out. Thanks

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
After a month or so they will be dirty and you won't even see them. Guess you could paint them to black them out. Never heard of that one before.:cheers:

·
Registered
210 Posts
:rofl: I thought I was bad...Good luck man. Just rattle can them and put them on. I don't believe they are visable anyway. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the paint pen idea, I'll give that a try thanks....yeah I know I probably need professional help :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts