Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my blower motor is speed is not regulating and generally gets slower the longer it is on. I had thought for sure that this was a resistor issue, so I bought a new resistor and replaced it. The old resistor showed no signs of wear or degradation. When I first started up the truck after the swap the blower motor worked exactly like it should have, but the truck had been off all night. I went shopping and on the way out it worked fine, but coming back it started doing the same thing to where it was barely moving any air on high.

It's too flippin hot outside to work on it so I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, but I am wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the blower motor? It seems like it's a voltage issue, but perhaps the blower motor is just dying a slow and silent death.

Any related experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Admin
8,482 Posts
How does your in-cabin air filter look?

Reactions: Iconic_

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit dirty; definitely needs to be changed, but not super bad. Do you think that could really cause the issues with the air movement or the blower motor?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
What year FJ, and where (geographically) has it spent most of its life?

Motor brush wear, contaminated/worn commutator, high friction in the armature bearings, corrosion in a connector, etc. could all be factors.

As far as I know there is no speed control system or speed "regulation", just a permanent-magnet motor whose speed is determined by the current permitted by the various resistors in the resistor pack.

How long does it take to "slow down" from the initial speed? 2-3 seconds? Or tens of seconds?

·
Admin
8,482 Posts
A bit dirty; definitely needs to be changed, but not super bad. Do you think that could really cause the issues with the air movement or the blower motor?
It's the cheapest, easiest thing to rule out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts