Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently discovered my shocks are blown out. I have a 2010 FJ with 200k miles. I’ve wanted to lift my car for awhile now but could never justify the money until now.

Im wanting to get a 3 inch lift. Does anyone have recommendations on what brand I should look at? I was originally looking into the bilstein b8 5100 adjustable shocks.

thank you

· MOAB SUPERSTAR
7,273 Posts
A lot depends on how you plan to use it, and how many other components you’re willing to replace to accommodate a 3” lift. In my experience with them for years, Toytec is an excellent company that sells many different lift kits, UCAs etc and are very willing to spent time with you on the phone, plus they actually do stand behind their products.

· Registered
82 Posts
My 2 cents..

I would consider not going 3 or more inches lift. The reason is that once you hit that point and up, you will need to spend more money on more parts. If I understand correctly how this works. I leveled mine which is a lift but not 3 inches. No differential drop or UCAs needed. Just something to consider.

Ok, more like a nickles worth.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot depends on how you plan to use it, and how many other components you’re willing to replace to accommodate a 3” lift. In my experience with them for years, Toytec is an excellent company that sells many different lift kits, UCAs etc and are very willing to spent time with you on the phone, plus they actually do stand behind their products.
My FJ is my daily driver for school, but I also do light off-roading and over landing on the weekends. I’ve also looked intro rough country and Skyjacker. Im looking for something that’s pretty soft. I also was told that it’s a good idea to lower the differential if I lift it so that the CV axles don’t get angled.

· MOAB SUPERSTAR
7,273 Posts
My FJ is my daily driver for school, but I also do light off-roading and over landing on the weekends. I’ve also looked intro rough country and Skyjacker. Im looking for something that’s pretty soft. I also was told that it’s a good idea to lower the differential if I lift it so that the CV axles don’t get angled.
You will discover that modifying your FJ can be more complex than just swapping one part for another, especially when you’re altering a basic, dynamic system like suspension. Many of us here have learned the “hard way” and discovered this after the fact, so you’re already ahead of the game by asking questions BEFORE any purchase! Keep doing your research and resist the temptation to just follow one person‘s opinion.

Given your intended use, I’d say a maximum 2.5” lift will serve you well, and avoid the additional purchase of new UCA’s. The two suspension brands you mention are less expensive, but also tend to have shorter lifespans. If you are paying someone to do the install, that cost will be the same regard less of brand, but will occur more frequently over time. Another even cheaper option is to simply replace your blown OE suspension with newer OE - many on here probably have low-ish mileage shocks/coilovers sitting in the back of their garages, and would sell (or give) at a sweet low price - just post up a “Want to buy” thread.
But we really do understand…its fun/addictive to modify these FJs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.