Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've got several posts, that I'll eventually list here, documenting Dig-Dug's progress over the last 9 months. YIKES, not even a yearling! Check my signature for the list of mods to date.

Here's last weekend's project. Can you guess?

How about a little closer...

Even closer...

Where does that go?

It disappeared!

OK it reappears here!

And the electrical stuff:

Ready for takeoff: (and the red paint on the windshield is leftover from my wedding vandals)

·
Premium Member
8,983 Posts
Now, for your next act, if you could integrate a perimeter emergency raft sytem which would deploy upon immersion in deep water . . .

You are quite dedicated to your compressed air.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'll run my impact wrench, so I'm happy :D

I thought about stuffing them under the rear cargo area, but then I'd have to shield them from rocks and what-not. This seemed easier and I don't put much on my roof anyway, maybe a gas can at most. I try to keep all my pack gear inside the cabin. The only other thing I'm planning on putting on the roof rack are more lights. But that won't happen until later in the summer.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Very Kool... Mythbusters Idea on compressed
Air POWER !!!... Schweet !!!... :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I like the idea! how do you keep people from stealing your air? (sorry, I'm new to the compressed air world :p)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea! how do you keep people from stealing your air? (sorry, I'm new to the compressed air world :p)
Silly girl, don't you know? Air is free! :lol: Inhale, exhale, isn't that nice :D

Actually there are a handful of bolts that are too awkward to get to with a socket, so it'd take someone a fair piece of time to get away with them. And an alarm system is being worked into the budget now.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Silly girl, don't you know? Air is free! :lol: Inhale, exhale, isn't that nice :D

Actually there are a handful of bolts that are too awkward to get to with a socket, so it'd take someone a fair piece of time to get away with them. And an alarm system is being worked into the budget now.
har har :D

Beyond stealing the actually tanks, I was thinking someone could just hook up to it and fill their tires/run their equipment etc.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
har har :D

Beyond stealing the actually tanks, I was thinking someone could just hook up to it and fill their tires/run their equipment etc.
There is an Extreme Aire compressor(constant duty) under the hood and it only takes a few minutes to fill the reservoirs on the roof. As the tanks go down, the compressor kicks on to maintain 145psi in the system. So yes, as long as my system is pressurized, the quick connect on the passenger side tank is available to passers-by. If I leave the system off, then the system will bleed off, eventually until no pressure is retained in the tanks. Then no free air.

·
Premium Member
8,983 Posts
Slap a few more ammenities on there and paint her up as a rescue rig, you've already got a start with the red accents.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So here is Dig-Dug on his first outing at Haspin Acres in Septermber 2006(thanks Woodsman):

Sometime in October 06 I got a red shovel and Hi-lift Jack.
Cullowhee was an awesome experience, even with stock tires.

Then a week later installed an OME lift (thanks to DanKunz, FJCRUSR, k9crazy) and an All-Pro bumper.

November '06 saw more red rattle can action and the aquisition of some used 285 BFG's.

December of 2006 was when Dig-Dug got the shoes he really wanted. 34 x 10.5 Super Swamper LTB's (and more red rattle can action).

One week later, some self inflicted pain at Tatum Lead trails. I shouldn't have taken that turnoff at the ATV path!

The ATL FJC's after lifting LAB601's Fusionator in December. Wow what a busy month!

Let's see what to do after lifting the last of the ATL FJC's - muddy good fun at Lake Allatoona on a mild December day, of course!

Dig-Dug and trail friend, k9crazy.

February saw the addition of Hella Black Magic Rallye lights and a Warn 9.5XP winch with Masterpull synthetic winchline. And another trip to Cullowhee for some cold weather camping.

Ran into some overheating issues for a while and decided a ScanGuage II might be a worthy investment.

Lesson learned, clean your radiator core vents extremely well. Take the fan shroud off to get the corners that are hard to reach.

May is here, let's have a wrenching day! Just got the Wrangler SA's put on and then I installed the All-Pro Trailing link skids and Extreme Lower Control Arms (more rattle can red action!)

Got married a few weeks ago and with it came a custom paint job!

That's all for now folks! Have fun wheeling!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Nice build, I love all the red accent pieces, really makes the Titanium pop.

And congratulations on the marriage!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So a few more details in the past week. I installed the rear diff and e-locker breather extension up to the gas filler door.

Here's the T-union to connect the e-locker tube to the new diff breather tube. Everything is zip-tied into place and I used hose clamps or twisted SS wire to hold the tubing.

Another shot. By the way, I did the install while the truck was on a hydraulic lift so the rear axle is at full droop. Also, it looks like the red extension line goes straight over the cross member here, but it actually has a "maintenance loop" zipped tied around the other side of the fuel tube that is just not easy to see from this vantage point.

Here's where I follow the fuel fill tube up to the filler door.

And then it pops out here. The rubber boot around the filler tube is pretty tight so I just rammed the breather extension up through the collar and wire tied the breather cap. I felt the wire tie would be less likely to rub a hole in the fuel door boot over time.

Then I added the Toyota OEM hitch, mainly so I have a valid recovery point in the rear of the truck. Notice it is the only unscratched part on my truck now :D

woot! woot! post #1000!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I forgot my skids. Hmmmm...let's see the All-Pro front skid was definitely first. I think I did that in November of 2006. This is actually a pic from June 2007 so lots of scrapes. And you can see the BudBuilt skids that follow it. The BudBuilts didn't go on until May 2007 (prepping for Ouray/Moab trip).

And from the back now, Oh thank you AP and BB, for I can do the trails without fear now. :D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
little project from this past spring...in preparation for the trip to Ouray.

Shelving made from leftover 1x8 planks for support at front and rear. Then applied two custom fit pieces of plywood to match the contours of the sides. Two pieces is necessary to span the whole back area as one entire piece won't squeeze in. Then I used wood screws to hold it in place on top of the support planks. I covered it in cheap vinyl runner material that I found at Lowe's for $1.75/ft. THe final hardware was purchased from Expedition Exchange.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Dig Dug looks like it's ready to hit the trails...Great looking rig. :) Love the unboard Air setup :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts