Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and bought a 4.5" cutter to do a chop on my FJ because the tires are still rubbing even after I put Bilsteins on. Something I didn't notice when I looked at previous chop pictures was that the rubber covering the body mount area was part of the mud flap. My question is, when the body mount has been cut, what is everyone doing with the mud flap? If you put it back on, the tire will still obviously rub against the rubber part that was molded over the mount. Is everyone leaving it off? Cutting that part out of the mud flap?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Personally, I just removed the mud flaps, but if you want to put them back on, just cut out the "bulge" where the body mount used to fit in.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just did the chop on mine last night & cut out the humped section of the mud flap. It doesnt look too bad but the very bottom of the mud flap on the inside seems like it could flop around a bit, tho so far with about 65 miles of driving I dont hear it & it doesnt seem to be tearing the flap mounts or anything. I may cut the inside of the flap along the bottom out as well. So much more clearance now for my new 285/75/16 MTZ's with spidertrax spacers & essentially leveling in the front with adjustable coilovers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I did. I had the same concerns but I didn't notice any noise at 70+ either.
I just thought the FJ looked funny without the mud flap there but maybe I'll get used to it and remove it at a later point.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
I cut my mudflaps......and just kept the portion that covered up the bare metal..

·
Registered
549 Posts
heres a picture of mine to give the OP an idea of what I meant. I havent welded in a piece on the end yet but intend to do that next weekend I hope.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok yeah that's basically what I did as well. I didn't cut that far into my body mount though. Looking at yours, I guess I probably should for maximum clearance though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine is actually farther than I needed to go by quite a ways but I figured I wanted to take as much as possible in case of suspension flex, etc. My tires dont come anywhere near rubbing metal now, I think it probably could rub the mudflap still a little under extreme circumstances. I wanted to do it once & never have to take anymore off. When I had a piece to close the end back in it will still provide plently of clearance. I looked at a bunch of pictures & even watched a video I found on here to reference about how much I needed/wanted off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts