Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to go through doing my body mount chop, hopefully to simplify some of the mystery behind this often dreaded and talked about modification

Here are a few pictures of the mount in question

Looking down at it from above. The section showing is what needs to be trimmed back Before

After

From the passenger side Before

After

From the wheel location.

Slice removed

This was accomplished in about 5 minutes with a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel, then a grinding wheel

Using a scrap piece of steel I was verifying that I chopped enough off. That steel is pressed flush against the inside of the fender well, down along where I chopped it. This will ensure you have enough, or the tire will be hitting the fender well, as it hits the chop. Then you need to do more extensive action, such as pounding it in. For most of us, this is more than enough

At this point, if you have no access to a welder or don't have the skills, you can just take some black paint and call it a day. If you don't want to install the mud flap then paint any exposed body color metal so it looks all black

if you have access to a welder, you move to this step
Any scrap steel will work. You don't need to make it thicker than the metal already used in the rest of the body mount. It's about 1/8th thick

Again with my scrap steel, I am showing the angle of the chop

This was a scrap piece of steel I found under my bench . Nothing fancy i am sure you can get a piece from most hardware stores or scrap steel recyclers in your area. You need a piece less than 3 inches wide and 6 inches long for each side
Dry fitting it

I made a little bevel on the inside part to fit the contour.

A little trouble with my gas cause some ugliness but I sorted through it

after a little trim and grind

Since I won't be adding the mudflap back I painted the exposed body metal that wasn't black

Passenger side

This project took a total of 45 minutes including pulling the tires, mudflaps, and doing all of these pictures.

Tools needs if you want to do a chop yourself without a welder
angle grinder
cut off wheels
grind disc
Gloves , goggles and or face shield
Jack
hand tools
jack stands
rattle can of black paint. Rustoleum etc

If you want to weld it ... Welder :)

Here are a few pics I took of a 35" General on a Method 8" wheel 4.5 backspace with no lift, just a BMC

Drivers side almost full lock

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for doing that. I'll use this soon. The right pictures make all the difference, and hopefully will clear things up for a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the thought of chopping the mount, scares the heck out of some people. With some basic tool skills, you can do this yourself. If you can't weld it right of way, you can save that for part 2. Or until you can find some nice member to weld it for you . Shops will charge upward of 200 bucks to do this. That could be another mod or part of one. :bigthumb:
Besides, you are giving your beloved friend, her first trim :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Great write up Don

I nominate for Sticky since this is always brought up:bigthumb:

Hey is that the "Old Wikid" next to yours in the final shot? It has the white under the mirrors.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That simplifies it a bit. I'll give this a shot sometime this week if I can work up the courage.

I already bought an angle grinder and all the stuff so I'm sorta committed at this point :lol:

I don't know how to weld so I think I'll JB weld the new steel on, at least as a temporary solution. If it looks nice enough it may be permanent though :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wikid, you got me all excited and now I am gonna do this. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great write up Don

Hey is that the "Old Wikid" next to yours in the final shot? It has the white under the mirrors.
That was my custom touch to wikid.
If you look at the body lines, the white mirror base flows with the doors.
The upper mirror is black to flow with the windows that are tinted.
The door handles were also white again to flow with the doors.
I originally did that when Wikid was Yellow. It just made sense to me

Here was the original look

·
Registered
166 Posts
One of the clearest "how to" threads for one of the most done mods, thanks for taking the time to spell it out for some of us more "challenged" mechanics!

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
That is very clear, especially the before and after pics. It may inspire me take the leap solo the Spring. Well done :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Great write up Don

The Old Wikid is on the right in the photo and his wife's 2008 TT is on the left (behind the new Rock!)

:cheers:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks. I also had to chop a bit of fender too.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts