Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
That is very clear, especially the before and after pics. It may inspire me take the leap solo the Spring. Well done :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Smalldog, have you done this yet? We could do it together sometime soon

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Smalldog, have you done this yet? We could do it together sometime soon
I did have mine done a few months ago
by cruiseroutfitters in Sandy for $150
and they did an awesome job! I highly recommend getting it done by them. I have done every other mod to my truck myself, but that one I left to the pros!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
695 Posts
I did have mine done a few months ago
by cruiseroutfitters in Sandy for $150
and they did an awesome job! I highly recommend getting it done by them. I have done every other mod to my truck myself, but that one I left to the pros!

Looks great. I might give them a call then, as I would like mine to be welded and I do not have a welder. DId you put your mudflaps back on or left them off?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Looks great. I might give them a call then, as I would like mine to be welded and I do not have a welder. DId you put your mudflaps back on or left them off?
I removed all of my mudflaps awhile back but they could be put back on one way or another.

Yea it's as professional as it gets. Kurt has been working on Toyotas professionally for many years.

He cuts, welds a plate, sands, then paints. He can cut it aggressively to accommodate 35s, or a milder chop for 285s, etc. He says there is no loss of integrity either way so I went aggro!

If you want any ARB stuff he has much of it in stock at good prices and reasonable install. Snorkels, fridges, OME, etc :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nothing replaces the feeling of chopping a brand new virgin FJ with only 100 miles on it.
I usually use my finger to make a mark in the dirt on the body mount, but yours was so fresh and clean I couldn't do it. Good thing I had a handy grease pencil to draw it with. Glad it worked out for you on the trail too . we will have to get together for a trail soon. It just didn't work out for me Sunday

·
Registered
175 Posts
:bump:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I will do this tomorrow while I am rotating the tires. Once this is done 35s will not rub anywhere even with stock suspension ie. fender wells?

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is not exactly true. 35's are a challenge sometimes , even with lift and body mount chop . It depends on the size of the tire. ( When they say 35's it isn't exact) With stock suspension you will most definitely rub in a few places

Wheel offset is another factor. 35's are work and sometimes require lots of inner fender caressing

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do we know of a shop in Michigan that is experienced and recommended for doing a BMC?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Did you use flux Cole wire or did you have your gas off or low?
It's not really structural so I'm sure it will be just fine.

Yea 35" duratraks use every inch is that wheelwell. With the correct offset wheel they will clear with a proper BMC. Just barley with new tires. Jive them 10k miles and you'll have plenty of clearence.

Did the grabbers rub after chop? Drivers side at full lock in reverse? (sorry if it's been covers, I didn't read all the posts)
Looks like the way you angled at the bottom gave you a little more room.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Did you use flux Cole wire or did you have your gas off or low?
It's not really structural so I'm sure it will be just fine.

Yea 35" duratraks use every inch is that wheelwell. With the correct offset wheel they will clear with a proper BMC. Just barley with new tires. Jive them 10k miles and you'll have plenty of clearence.

Did the grabbers rub after chop? Drivers side at full lock in reverse? (sorry if it's been covers, I didn't read all the posts)
Looks like the way you angled at the bottom gave you a little more room.
My gas fitting was giving me hell. I took the pic, before I fixed it
I actually fixed it after that mess, then I ground it down and rewelded it. I just forgot to get another pic.

The grabbers rubbed the inner fender too. full lock to driver. Angling it does help though

21 - 40 of 85 Posts