Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I really need to find a shop familiar with this type of modification. IPS in Columbus, OH is quoting me 4-5hrs (at $100/hr) for this 1-1.5hr job.
you need to go somewhere else then the place i took it to charged me 60.00 and only took about 30 mins

·
Registered
276 Posts
For those welding, at work when we weld on trucks we are required to pull the battery cables for the slim chance of it frying the ECU. Doubt it happens often, but just throwing that it. If I decide to weld on mine I'll disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The guy here did it with a sawzall no problem. I was surprised he did it that way but worked out fine. My problem my 285/75/17 Nitto trail grapplers still rub. Don't know what to do next?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to do this mod, but don't have access to a welder and ive been reading through the thread and its kind of unclear if I can just do the chop and not weld it up. does it effect integrity of the mount to not weld it up? or is it just an aesthetics thing?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Great write up Don, thanks. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Shop here wants 330.00 for the chop. They do great work but damn that's a lot of money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
The guy here did it with a sawzall no problem. I was surprised he did it that way but worked out fine. My problem my 285/75/17 Nitto trail grapplers still rub. Don't know what to do next?
G'day.
Depending on your set up, rims, and rubber, and after market UCA's - you can push the castor forward and stop the rubbing.
any good alignment tech will / should know how to do this, and stop the rub.

Cheers
Baz
:cheers:
:blueblob::blueblob:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I paid $150 for a BMC for cut, weld, grind, and paint. $330 is too much unless you live in NYC :rocker:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I will learn how to weld first. And buy some welding equipment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it possible for a guy that has never used an angle grinder in his life able to do this without chopping off one of his limbs or take out an eye?

Ill be trying this tommorow and a little bit worried about messing it up or hurting myself. Wish me luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I love my BMC.....If anyone needs any recommendations in the DFW area, let me know..
Might take you up that soon. I'm in Arlington but I am looking to get my '13 TT lifted soon. Not adding tires yet but I would like to take care of the BMC shortly after lift. ;)

Edit: I hate it when I forget what year it is. Just saw this was from a year ago! ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
This mod allows for what exactly? I understand it's giving more tire clearance, but I'm asking where the line is. What sizes work without the need for this mod, and then at what point does this mod become necessary? Bumping to 35" tires, or could it also be needed with 33" if you don't have a lift, or?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
There is not a science to it. It depends on the tire, suspension, alignment, degree of turning, travel, spacers, etc...

41 - 60 of 85 Posts