Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I recently went to 33" tires and had a BMC done. This was my 'scientific' conclusion after research:

< 33" Tires - shouldn't need it at all unless you've got some seriously funky suspension going on.

33" OEM geometry - Seems to be about a 50/50 whether or not you will need it. You may just need to remove the mudflaps.

33" Modified geometry - This actually seems to make you a bit more likely to need it than with stock, odd as that may seem.

> 33" Tires - You're going to need it.

The rub will be at full lock when turned to that side of the vehicle. As I mentioned, removing the mudflap might give you the extra wiggle room you need. If it's really close at full lock, pay attention as there is a decent chance it will rub at full lock with upward suspension travel (turning into an inclined driveway off a street will often do it).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I run 35x.12.5x17 on stock wheels w/ 1.25 spidertrax spacers, stock uca, toytec 3" lift and bmc. At full lock & compression, I clear the body mount easily, but the tire rubs the frame rail slightly, not enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have a grinder, and have been watching a couple of youtube videos, so I think i'm ready to give this a try myself, I won't be able to weld as I don't have a welder, but I guess I can have that done for cheap.I think I would be cutting down the mounts tomorrow :), as of now, I have absolutely zero rub on them, but I want to add the Spidertrax spacers, and i'm sure the tires will rub the mounts with them, so this would be more for preventive measures.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just finished up the BMC! all I can say is "wow, that was so much easier than I imagined!!" I literally went to home Depot, bought a $30 angle grinder, a $3 cutting disk, and some $3 safety glasses and $3 black paint. So roughly $40 bucks!

The first mount I cut the short cuts first then tried to connect the two short cuts with the one long one across the top. That was probably a mistake. The 2nd one I did the long cut along the top first, then just ran the two short cuts down the sides! So fast and easy. The 2nd mount literally took me 2 minutes to cut, and I even did it with my 315's still mounted haha!

If you're scared to do this, don't be. Piece of cake.. Piece of crumb cake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please forgive if this has already been asked but is it possible to keep the mud flap after doing this mod? If so does anyone have pictures of how they cut up the flap? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes, I have a BMC and mud flaps, no cutting that I remember, I just pushed the center of the flap once installed, so that portion would fold back towards the BMC for tire clearance. it's not very clear in this pics, but the rubber portion is tucked in towards the bmc, and the mud flaps are there like nothing never happened. If anything, maybe you'll need to drill anew hole in the flap itself, but I can't remember exactly, just do your BMC, then try to put your flaps back.

CAM01424 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

CAM01710 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone know of some where in NC I can get to do this to my 2014 FJ. I'm a bit nervous about cutting up my brand new Rig, but I have to get rid of the skinny little tooth pick tires that came on it. so looks like if I want 12.5" wide tires I need to do the BMC.

I plan to do either a procomp 3" lift or OME. My goal is to put a 305/ 65/ 17 BFG All terrain TA or Mud Terrain on it.

Which per this site 265/70-R17 vs 305/65-R17 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

is equal to 32.61" tall (1" taller than stock) by 12.01" wide (1.57" over stock), but would like to be able to just do a 33x12.50 tire and not worry about trying to find a off the wall size to keep short like stock tire.

I primarily want something aggressive looking, white letters, 12.5" wide and 31-33" tall no taller. I do mostly urban wheeling, side walks, medians, parking lot curbs, small bushes, flowers, mud holes, camping trail dirt roads, fields (fishing/ hunting/ target shooting). NO rock climbing or major trails and rivers. I want something good on high way and wet roads as well, this is my daily driver.

Willing to go anywhere within 120 miles of Kernersville, NC to get professionals to do the chop and weld to make it clean as possible.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am going to go through doing my body mount chop, hopefully to simplify some of the mystery behind this often dreaded and talked about modification

Here are a few pictures of the mount in question

Looking down at it from above. The section showing is what needs to be trimmed back Before

After

From the passenger side Before

After

From the wheel location.

Slice removed

This was accomplished in about 5 minutes with a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel, then a grinding wheel

Using a scrap piece of steel I was verifying that I chopped enough off. That steel is pressed flush against the inside of the fender well, down along where I chopped it. This will ensure you have enough, or the tire will be hitting the fender well, as it hits the chop. Then you need to do more extensive action, such as pounding it in. For most of us, this is more than enough

At this point, if you have no access to a welder or don't have the skills, you can just take some black paint and call it a day. If you don't want to install the mud flap then paint any exposed body color metal so it looks all black

if you have access to a welder, you move to this step
Any scrap steel will work. You don't need to make it thicker than the metal already used in the rest of the body mount. It's about 1/8th thick

Again with my scrap steel, I am showing the angle of the chop

This was a scrap piece of steel I found under my bench . Nothing fancy i am sure you can get a piece from most hardware stores or scrap steel recyclers in your area. You need a piece less than 3 inches wide and 6 inches long for each side
Dry fitting it

I made a little bevel on the inside part to fit the contour.

A little trouble with my gas cause some ugliness but I sorted through it

after a little trim and grind

Since I won't be adding the mudflap back I painted the exposed body metal that wasn't black

Passenger side

This project took a total of 45 minutes including pulling the tires, mudflaps, and doing all of these pictures.

Tools needs if you want to do a chop yourself without a welder
angle grinder
cut off wheels
grind disc
Gloves , goggles and or face shield
Jack
hand tools
jack stands
rattle can of black paint. Rustoleum etc

If you want to weld it ... Welder :)

Here are a few pics I took of a 35" General on a Method 8" wheel 4.5 backspace with no lift, just a BMC

Drivers side almost full lock

Nice Write up.

After cutting the body mount, is it neccessary to weld on the plate? or can i leave it open?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Left mine open, no problems.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking of doing BMC myself and not welding it.

Would happen to have a picture of your BMC? or does it look like the one in this thread?

Thanks.
Not as clean as Wikid's, but good enough and no more rub :bigthumb:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did mine on my 07 about 3 years ago and never welded it . Just traded and got a 14, did the BMC right away , no plans to weld. Other than aesthetics, I dont think it really serves any purpose. And if you're not looking down at it, you would never know the difference anyhow.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It is essentially "open" from the factory. I mean that is one big a$$ hole from the bottom.
@KRUSH It does cover it but it is super loud when it rubs on the mud flap and once a hole wears through one could catch their tread in that hole and tear the mud flap right off.

I just cut a hole in my mudflap to match the BMC

Looks super clean to me.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 85 Posts