Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It's only gonna be a slight rub, not really necessary, but if you go off roading often, then you should go ahead and do the chop.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You'll get just as many people saying yes as you get that say no. I have a lift and 285s on stock wheels and have no rub at all both on and offroad. If you are keeping the stock wheels then you should be okay. If there is some rub, it will be very slight and only at full lock and under compression.

·
Registered
286 Posts
"Wait and see" is the right approach.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Adding caster can really help with clearance. I have a partial chop at the moment, but tomorrow it is going to be done just like the Raptor. Look at his build thread to see a really nice chop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[/IMG]

I did my chop a little different, if you are interested. I thought it was easier. I just cut out wedge, bent the two sides together and welded it up. Same outcome, here is a after photo.

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Try again

i like that a lot! it looks really clean! did you also cut the bottom portion towards the end of the body mount?

·
Registered
13 Posts
:rocker:Wow! that is the cleanest chop I have seen yet. :rocker:How did you cut it? I have a sawzall, I am hoping that will work and get someone with a welder to finish the job.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's a clean body mount chop, nice job!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Very nice, clean and simple. Trust a farmer to think of that!!!!!LOL
But where is the binder twine. Just kidding. Great job.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I used to do body mount chops for locals and since there's always the chance you might go bigger in the future I would clearance them for 35's as I had for my FJ. The chop is a bit more extreme, but you dont lose any strength and you'll never have to worry about cutting more later if you change you mind on the tire size when it comes time to buy the next set.

Here you can see where the tire was rubbing (this was a 285 tire)

Because it was this close

and this is how much extra material the original body mount is equipped with

This is how much you want to remove for maximum clearance; cut vertical inside of the centerline of the bushing at its most forward point, and horizontal along the top edge of the mount around the radius of the bushing, and about 1" on the front inside toward the frame.

I hammered the leading lip in under the top area and ground it clean in prtep for the weld

Then weld on a plate to the leading egde and stich about 3/4" at the top. Now hammer the remaining plate around and stich some more until it meets the back of the original mount, then weld down the back. Notice I also stayed above the factory lower lip line as this area is the most prone to rub

Now just paint and you have maximum clearance. This is the tire at its closest point to the mount and nowhere close to rubbing

This is the view from underneath, you cant more clearance without cutting the actual bushing away

Hope that helps anyone who plans to go maximum tire size... One of the trucks I did had 295 tires with no lift and after doing the extreme chop it had no rubbing - it gives you a lot of clearance at the most crucial area.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used to do body mount chops for locals and since there's always the chance you might go bigger in the future I would clearance them for 35's as I had for my FJ. The chop is a bit more extreme, but you dont lose any strength and you'll never have to worry about cutting more later if you change you mind on the tire size when it comes time to buy the next set.

Here you can see where the tire was rubbing (this was a 285 tire)

Because it was this close

and this is how much extra material the original body mount is equipped with

This is how much you want to remove for maximum clearance; cut vertical inside of the centerline of the bushing at its most forward point, and horizontal along the top edge of the mount around the radius of the bushing, and about 1" on the front inside toward the frame.

I hammered the leading lip in under the top area and ground it clean in prtep for the weld

Then weld on a plate to the leading egde and stich about 3/4" at the top. Now hammer the remaining plate around and stich some more until it meets the back of the original mount, then weld down the back. Notice I also stayed above the factory lower lip line as this area is the most prone to rub

Now just paint and you have maximum clearance. This is the tire at its closest point to the mount and nowhere close to rubbing

This is the view from underneath, you cant more clearance without cutting the actual bushing away

Hope that helps anyone who plans to go maximum tire size... One of the trucks I did had 295 tires with no lift and after doing the extreme chop it had no rubbing - it gives you a lot of clearance at the most crucial area.
Thats is great !!!! I really love the step by step!!! Thanks !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts