Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see the body panel connections on this truck revised. Everything is held together with low quality plastic fasteners that often break the first time they are removed. As much as I love hearing "its going to take a week to get that specialty part from our warehouse" from my local dealer, I seriously think that Toyota could do better with this. Granted, sometimes the clips are the only way to create attachments, but come on.

Examples:

Front Windshield was replaced before I bought the truck. The glass guys broke the clips on one of the little side fairings when doing the repair...It flew off the truck on the Thruway @80 mph. I recovered it (thankfully unscathed) and had to attach it with shielded cable since the clips I bought from Toyota didn't work.

I removed the body panel covering the pillar next to the windshield to run wiring for auxiliary lights on my roof rack. Several of the clips broke upon removal... since there was already a single bolt holding down the panel down, you would think they could have handled this with 2 more bolts. Took me 2 weeks to get new clips (at $5 per clip).

Interior panels have proven to be much the same story.

Toyota knows that many of us will take these trucks apart and put them back together again constantly. I'm not a Engineer or anything (I am, seriously), but they need to take that into account. :rawr:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I totally agree with you...I have broken at least one or more clips on every panel inside the truck and it has become a exspensive hassle replacing them.

I have been looking into other fasteners from GM and other manufactures,even found some drywall fasteners that have a threaded screw that you can use over and over again.This one is used on the fender skirts.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I hear ya! Just had to buy a bag of 10 interior plastic clips (the little white ones) for $19+.

I literally shattered a couple with a tiny amount of pressure. Clips like this I have dealt with in the past are the softer plastic that allows it to bend and deform without breaking.

Very poor and expensive (and specialty...all the ones at the hardware store would not quite work!)

I hate being forced to buy overpriced rinky dink crap at the dealership when I should be able to replace it with something better from a common source.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Well, the exterior panel clips are marked as one way. They aren't meant to be reused.
When I linex'd my entire truck, I made sure I had all the clips before starting. I've done this kind of work many times and still managed to break 10% of the clips. Interior ones are a bit more robust, but will break if not removed carefully. ... But I agree, they are really cheap pieces of crap..but I guess this is one way for the manufacture to recoup on R&D costs and yet still sell the car cheaper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...they are really cheap pieces of crap..but I guess this is one way for the manufacture to recoup on R&D costs and yet still sell the car cheaper.
That is a good point, but the main reason that the plastic clips do cost the manufacturer so much is because some injection operation in Japan is turning out about a thousand different varieties of them. I run into this a lot at work. The people who design these cars have all the advanced parts modeling software in the world to work with...unfortunately nobody takes the time to stop and think that you could do the same thing with a screw, or design the panels to use a standardized clip.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It's not just Toyota, or Japanese cars, I've dealt with the same issue on my wife's Mini. I would suggest you shop around, I have a local Toyota dealer that sells me most the the common clips for 95 cents each, and I've seen people here complain about being charges 4 or 5 times that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts