Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound silly, but I just realised that a small exterior panel has gone missing on my FJ. This is a squarish panel on the driver side between the front wing and the door. The opposite side has the antenna mounted on it.

Can anyone please identify what I should ask for when trying to replace it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I think I would just use the description you just used here. Keep us posted on how this goes. I'd like to know how that would just come up missing, as well.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,805 Posts
It is sometimes called a cowl piece also. I have one sitting right here and the description and part number on the package is:

Panel Sub-Assy 61102-35131

From what I understand, there are some clips that hold it on. When the windshield is replaced this panel is removed and the clips wear or break allowing this panel to become loose and then the air pressure and vibration from driving down the road will let it lift enough that it can pop off. Mine is loose and I give it a a little push back in place. I bought a new one as I was told new clips weren't available and have been waiting to have it swapped with the old one as soon as I replace the windshield shortly. I am also going to ask my glass guy if he can get the clips. Another thing some have done is use RTV adhesive to hold it on a little better.

I forgot. This piece comes unpainted so you will need to color match and paint it to match your FJ. I can't find my receipt but I seem to remember it costing between $25-$50 when I picked it up a couple of months ago. Don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about this part:

If so, I'd bet money that your windshield has been replaced (probably recently) and the clips that hold this piece on were broken.

Mine came flying off at ~65mph. Never found it. It's called the upper fender panel. The piece itself insn't expensive but it comes unpainted, so you have to take it to a body shop and have them color match it for you which will make your total a little over $100 probably.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Nice save, FJ-Gorilla!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
That exact piece flew off my truck some how last week. Be prepared on the price, that little piece will cost you at least $130 painted and replaced! Just for a 7"x8" piece!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
That exact piece flew off my truck some how last week. Be prepared on the price, that little piece will cost you at least $130 painted and replaced! Just for a 7"x8" piece!
And that is exactly why I've been driving around without one since christmas time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
And that is exactly why I've been driving around without one since christmas time.
I don't blame you haha. Well I had my windshield replaced and the reason why it came off is to improper reassembly. I trying to get the cap covered through the glass company, since it was their fault and all. :king:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
aww those sucker's are notorious for flyin off :(

hope you got the bones to spare..

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
They're $43 color-matched from Don Ringler Toyota in Temple TX.
That isn't too bad of a price. I don't mind driving around without one for now though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts