Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought at 2007 TRD FJ 4 wheel drive this thing shacks and wiggles from side to side like crazy. It rides fine on good flat roads but put some pothole or uneven road and it gets the wiggles The steering is tight and show nothing is wrong and has no feed back that would say anything is wrong. Checked the say bar links they look ok but may me wrong Seems like the problem is coming from the rear but I may be wrong. This is my dream truck been looking for 2 years to find the right one 98 k miles TRD special edition full black no white top trd rims clean as can be and no rust .Best I can tell looks like factory suspension but could be wrong on that also. The wiggle gives me a head ache when I drive it going to sell this thing if I can not fig it out !!! :mad::mad: oh I paid $10900 yea I know that was a darn good price

·
Admin
7,023 Posts
It could be something as simple as requiring an alignment.
Either way.... once it's up there on the hoist the guys can see if there's an obvious issue.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your willingness to sell after such a diligent search confuses me, good luck though. I am sure in 2020 if you can't find an aftermarket answer, maybe you should sell it.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,009 Posts
Welcome! Out of curiousity, do you have access to maintenece/repair records? I ask because there are components that do wear out (some mentioned above) which can cause steering wander and/or roll. I suggest the following: go get an alignment and while there, have the tie rods, UCA balljoints and wheel bearings checked, in addition to all the bolts for rear links. Given your FJ is approaching 100k mi it’s not unreasonable. GL!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
As people mentioned, I would check the tightness on all the bolts on rear end as well as check the bushings/play on upper rear control arms, lower rear control arms, trackbar, sway bar links and bushings and rear shocks. Gotta be something there if it feels like it is happening at the rear end or the rear end is doing some unexpected steering.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yes, check the rear axle links, make sure the bushings are solid and the bolt holes on the mounts are not oval-ed out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check everything mentioned above, because you say pot holes set it off I would guess shocks or wrong shock/spring combo. Or what type of tires and what pressure are they at?

·
Registered
194 Posts
How old are the shocks and springs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts