Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 4x4
8 Posts
Looks like water is seeping through that cover joint below. I bet rust is way larger from behind, starting from the bottom joint up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like water is seeping through that cover joint below. I bet rust is way larger from behind, starting from the bottom joint up.
Thank You
I think you are right, it's hard to believe the water is going up but I see no other way

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
"it's hard to believe the water is going up"

I agree with Datajockeys, water travels down so unless theres a way for the tires to throw it up where you found it there must be a source above this spot.

Can't tell from your photos actually where your rust is on the body.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
478 Posts
Wow, I would never have expected that. I would try a few things. One is to pour / pump a small amount of water in the hole and see where it comes out, it may not. That may help determine if condensation is getting trapped inside causing the issue. If you add water and nothing comes out it may be coming from above, getting trapped and causing condensation / rust. Another thing to try is to take a paper towel, wedge it in the hole,and add some duct tape so it does not fall in. Close the door ,get a hose, wet the area above / around the hole and see what happens. If the paper towel stays dry it may indicate condensation coming from below, if wet then look at the area above / roof rack. Do you live in a humid climate? Did you look at the same area on the opposite side?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
478 Posts
Wow, I would never have expected that. I would try a few things. One is to pour / pump a small amount of water in the hole and see where it comes out, it may not. That may help determine if condensation is getting trapped inside causing the issue. If you add water and nothing comes out it may be coming from above, getting trapped and causing condensation / rust. Another thing to try is to take a paper towel, wedge it in the hole,and add some duct tape so it does not fall in. Close the door ,get a hose, wet the area above / around the hole and see what happens. If the paper towel stays dry it may indicate condensation coming from below, if wet then look at the area above / roof rack. Do you live in a humid climate? Did you look at the same area on the opposite side?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Also an endoscope (Amazon) or a dental mirror and a flashlight may help.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
16,323 Posts
Your photo's, where is this located on the body, Right side of the Back door? I see the white/silver paint line.

I see that you're on Guam, so saltwater corrosion.

If it is the upper right rear corner, it's the roof rack seals or the body seam that's under the short plastic filler track behind the roof rack foot.

It's time to pull out that whole interior side paneling and start looking as to where it's all going/pooling? There's several different panels that come together in that corner and probably some bracing or the rear pillar speaker mount behind it that it's pooling on and rotting through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"it's hard to believe the water is going up"

I agree with Datajockeys, water travels down so unless theres a way for the tires to throw it up where you found it there must be a source above this spot.

Can't tell from your photos actually where your rust is on the body.
Back upper passenger area. I tried to include the subwoofer for reference but I guess not everyone has that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll
Your photo's, where is this located on the body, Right side of the Back door? I see the white/silver paint line.

I see that you're on Guam, so saltwater corrosion.

If it is the upper right rear corner, it's the roof rack seals or the body seam that's under the short plastic filler track behind the roof rack foot.

It's time to pull out that whole interior side paneling and start looking as to where it's all going/pooling? There's several different panels that come together in that corner and probably some bracing or the rear pillar speaker mount behind it that it's pooling on and rotting through.

View attachment 1169299
Thank you for sharing this.

Your seam seems to be significantly lower. Mine is an 07.
I was really hoping it was not the roof. I have tried to avoid messing with anything on the roof for fear of leaking. I will take off the cover this weekend and see if I can get at the inside panel as well.

Maybe saltwater/corrosion but would this be from the outside going in? If so, that would be the simplest fix. I just feel like that would be wishful thinking.

I was hoping someone else on forum would have had the same problem but maybe I am the first :(

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
Your rusting from the inside out, as previously mentioned once you start cutting out and cleaning it will be bigger than anticipated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree with the thinking it’s a seal in or around the roof rack or trim And that there’s either joining panels or a bracket behind that panel that’s helping to hold leaking water close to the body. I’d check the bottom of the rear quarter panel as well. There’s a good chance it’s showing signs of rust too.

Here’s another thread with a similar issue, from what appears to be a “known” leak left unchecked.
“Even though the body is completely submerged in a rust protective coating it can still rust if exposed to water for long enough”. And once it starts it can be hard to stop. Water can be tricky in how it follows seams, and edges before dripping further down. So the leak isn’t always right above the damage. Hannibal points that out above, and FJtest points that out in the other thread as well.
Hopefully, it won’t be that bad. But it’s definitely going to require a good shop to do the sheet metal repair right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll

Thank you for sharing this.

Your seam seems to be significantly lower. Mine is an 07.
I was really hoping it was not the roof. I have tried to avoid messing with anything on the roof for fear of leaking. I will take off the cover this weekend and see if I can get at the inside panel as well.

Maybe saltwater/corrosion but would this be from the outside going in? If so, that would be the simplest fix. I just feel like that would be wishful thinking.

I was hoping someone else on forum would have had the same problem but maybe I am the first :(
I agree with the thinking it’s a seal in or around the roof rack or trim And that there’s either joining panels or a bracket behind that panel that’s helping to hold leaking water close to the body. I’d check the bottom of the rear quarter panel as well. There’s a good chance it’s showing signs of rust too.

Here’s another thread with a similar issue, from what appears to be a “known” leak left unchecked.
“Even though the body is completely submerged in a rust protective coating it can still rust if exposed to water for long enough”. And once it starts it can be hard to stop. Water can be tricky in how it follows seams, and edges before dripping further down. So the leak isn’t always right above the damage. Hannibal points that out above, and FJtest points that out in the other thread as well.
Hopefully, it won’t be that bad. But it’s definitely going to require a good shop to do the sheet metal repair right.
Thank You for sharing this post. Glad I am not the only one. I have not seen any wet spots in the headliner/floor. It does rain here daily. I will take a look with my fiber optic scope.

·
16,323 Posts
It never had a roof rack but I will take a look. Thank You!
Whether or not you have a roof rack, the mounts are still there and have seals under the plastic covers. Same goes for the rear speakers, if you don't have them, covers should be there. Pop it off and look inside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whether or not you have a roof rack, the mounts are still there and have seals under the plastic covers. Same goes for the rear speakers, if you don't have them, covers should be there. Pop it off and look inside.

Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts