Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stripped weldnut on the frame, it's one of the recovery point bolts so 12x1.25mm I believe. Bolts fine but as you tighten you can feel it skip. I had to chase the threads a while back and I'm guessing it didn't leave much in there.

I figure my best bet is to drill out and move to a larger bolt. Only a 14mm might be too big for the weldnut.

Is there a SAE bolt size slightly bigger than 12x1.25 that would work better in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I have a stripped weldnut on the frame, it's one of the recovery point bolts so 12x1.25mm I believe. Bolts fine but as you tighten you can feel it skip. I had to chase the threads a while back and I'm guessing it didn't leave much in there.

I figure my best bet is to drill out and move to a larger bolt. Only a 14mm might be too big for the weldnut.

Is there a SAE bolt size slightly bigger than 12x1.25 that would work better in this situation.

Thanks in advance.
I have not stripped one of those but when installing a couple of sway bar drop kits I actually spun the nut inside the frame. When I was able to get the bolt loose with a rattle gun the nut was rattling around inside the frame. I took a new nut and fished it in place using a wire through the hole. Then I had to be careful while first installing the bolt but I was able to get it to grab using a rattle gun before finally torquing it.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/2-20 would work. I've done repairs in my FJ frame with this tap size for stripped M12 weldnuts.
Sweet, thanks Thong. I will make a pit stop either tomorrow or Monday and grab a bolt. I think my Dad has that tap size. Did you need to drill out the hole or could you just run the tap?

I have not stripped one of those but when installing a couple of sway bar drop kits I actually spun the nut inside the frame. When I was able to get the bolt loose with a rattle gun the nut was rattling around inside the frame. I took a new nut and fished it in place using a wire through the hole. Then I had to be careful while first installing the bolt but I was able to get it to grab using a rattle gun before finally torquing it.
Where the bolt location is on the 80 i don't think this will work.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Sweet, thanks Thong. I will make a pit stop either tomorrow or Monday and grab a bolt. I think my Dad has that tap size. Did you need to drill out the hole or could you just run the tap?
No need to drill out the hole at all. I use a taper hand tap so it's easier to start the thread. Plus, it's easier to find grade 8 hardware in 1/2-20 than M12 in grade 10.9. Good luck.
Edit: I think there's enough material to go up to M14 or 9/16-18 if the M12 threads in the weldnut are too buggered up.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to drill out the hole at all. I use a taper hand tap so it's easier to start the thread. Plus, it's easier to find grade 8 hardware in 1/2-20 than M12 in grade 10.9. Good luck.
Definitely.

Edit: I think there's enough material to go up to M14 or 9/16-18 if the M12 threads in the weldnut are too buggered up.
One of the other problems i have with going up to a much larger bolt size is that i'd also have to enlarge the hole on the bumper.

I don't think the threads are really bad, you can thread the bolt with your fingers and they will support a little weight. But not enough to tighten down anything.

BTW, this is for the bolt holes on the rear frame of my 80. My new 4x4labs bumper uses these bolt holes for attachment.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Yeah, I'd start with the 1/2-20 and see if it can handle the torque on the bolt. BTW, that's how I repaired the two bottom weldnuts holding my DeMello rear bumper and tow hitch. The repaired weldnuts can handle the 80 ft-lbs of torque on the two bottom bolts; I was cautious and increased the torque slowly, starting at 50 ft-lbs and also used anti-seize compound. I was talking to Jason DeMello and he mentioned that he had to go up to the 9/16 tap to fix some of the weldnuts holding the rear bumper on his FJ since the rear bumper has been removed and reinstalled at least a dozen time.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'd start with the 1/2-20 and see if it can handle the torque on the bolt. BTW, that's how I repaired the two bottom weldnuts holding my DeMello rear bumper and tow hitch. The repaired weldnuts can handle the 80 ft-lbs of torque on the two bottom bolts; I was cautious and increased the torque slowly, starting at 50 ft-lbs and also used anti-seize compound. I was talking to Jason DeMello and he mentioned that he had to go up to the 9/16 tap to fix some of the weldnuts holding the rear bumper on his FJ since the rear bumper has been removed and reinstalled at least a dozen time.
That makes sense. I might have over torqued them a little too as i didn't have the other 6 bolts installed (smaller M8 bolts) as i had bought the wrong size.

Also good to know about the 9/16" tap as well.
:wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts