Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser SR 4WD 6MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am the lucky guy who bought the 2008 FJC Black, Manual, 4x4, 107K miles from @dtm_berty and I could not be happier about it!

A little bit about me: I'm French / from France, moved to the US / Los Angeles about 3 years ago, and then to Reno just 4 months ago, which is when I decided it was time to add a car to my garage, and not just ride on my (tiny) motorcycle. Finding the perfect car seemed impossible at first. I wanted a 4WD, looked at some EVs, but all the reasonably priced 4WD EVs won't come out until next year, then looked at gas 4WD, imagined myself in a Jeep, realized the 2 doors would not even fit a pair of skis, and then discovered the FJ in the most random and outrageous suggested YouTube video and immediately knew it was the car I always wanted!

I started looking around, got a little overwhelmed about all the different trims and options, even though there's only 7 model years, considered springing for a 2014 with low miles (there briefly was a 2014 white FJC with <300 miles for sale for $50k in CA!!!), decided I preferred black or white, that it had to be manual, and it turned out that there was one just in my backyard! I drove to Berty's last Saturday, and within just a few short days the deal was done! One reason I'm super happy about this particular car is that since it's already slightly older, has a few more miles, already has a couple after market updates, and was much cheaper than any 2014 model, I feel like I'll be much more free to play with it: take it off the beaten path, change some parts, etc.

Now I'm new to it all! To driving a 4WD, to off roading, to Nevada, to the FJ, all of it! So I'll take any advice on what to do with my FJ, where to go, where to meet other enthusiasts, and so on. I've already learned on lot reading this forum in the last two weeks, and I'll have plenty more questions in the future! But to begin with, is there any member here in the Reno-Tahoe region?

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: damsunet

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
36,877 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: damsunet

·
Registered
645 Posts
Welcome from Mid Mo

Look around the forum, there is a lot of information. Pick one project at a time it get very overwhelming if you just keep looking at everything that come to mind. :oops:
Believe me I know 😅

Lastly, French from France!!! 😂🤣

Cheers
G

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,516 Posts
Bienvenue from Vermont! I was just in Reno, passing through for wheeling the Rubicon and Fordyce in California. There is SO MUCH great off-roading near you and you may very well have just begun the best chapter of your life with your “new” FJ 👍 Before you hit the trails I’d highly recommend armor and a lift - that will give you the clearance and protection to go just about anywhere, and believe me you will never run out of places to go! There are many FJs and in general people off-roading right around you, so just keep looking and it will happen 😁

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m in Reno, near Robb and Mae Anne. Just sold my FJ for a 4runner to accommodate my growing family. Let me know if you need any help with anything! I have a few spare parts left over too if you’d like.
Jeff

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser SR 4WD 6MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

My first project is gonna be ... going to the DMV 🤣
Second project is probably gonna be downgrading the stereo and finding a different backup camera system!

@Fjhugo1 I appreciate the offer! What kind of parts do you have? I'll gladly take anything off your hands if it helps!
Is there any beginner friendly trail you recommend to get started around here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts