Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the FJ's engine handle a small turbo on stock internals or would the rods and stuff have to be forged ? Would I better be off looking into a supercharger ? Oh and I live in Lebanon so I dont think I can find TRD parts that easy , can I order parts from overseas , if yes can someone link me to a good website that would deliver in a short period ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Would the FJ's engine handle a small turbo on stock internals or would the rods and stuff have to be forged ? Would I better be off looking into a supercharger ? Oh and I live in Lebanon so I dont think I can find TRD parts that easy , can I order parts from overseas , if yes can someone link me to a good website that would deliver in a short period ? Thanks in advance
if they can handle a super charger at around 8 psi im sure it could handle a turbo at or below 8

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
What are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking for more low end power or high end speed? A supercharger is often better suited for the former and a turbo is often better suited for the latter.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking for more low end power or high end speed? A supercharger is often better suited for the former and a turbo is often better suited for the latter.

DEWFPO
Well a daily driver , off-road'ing at least 5 times a year on mud and stuff , and I want a bit of more power then it already has when the gas is slammed :D

·
Vendor
542 Posts

We have just completed the updated supercharger kit for the FJ and it is in production. We are going to offer it for sale very soon and there are no outside USDM ECU reflash issues to worry about.

G

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Well a daily driver , off-road'ing at least 5 times a year on mud and stuff , and I want a bit of more power then it already has when the gas is slammed :D
Everyone will have their own opinions on this based on their experiences; but for an everyday driver and mud slinging opportunities I personally prefer a supercharger. A turbo can make more power and sometimes feel a little more fun but the supercharger provides consistent power and is a little easier on the drivetrain based on my previous experiences. As well, there's a bolt-on, Toyota warrantied kit for the 207-2009 FJ's already. I realize you are in Lebanon and the warranty may not mean much to you there; but, what it means to me is that it has been thoroughly tested and can work well with the existing components enough so that they are willing to warranty it.

Good Luck and have fun.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone will have their own opinions on this based on their experiences; but for an everyday driver and mud slinging opportunities I personally prefer a supercharger. A turbo can make more power and sometimes feel a little more fun but the supercharger provides consistent power and is a little easier on the drivetrain based on my previous experiences. As well, there's a bolt-on, Toyota warrantied kit for the 207-2009 FJ's already. I realize you are in Lebanon and the warranty may not mean much to you there; but, what it means to me is that it has been thoroughly tested and can work well with the existing components enough so that they are willing to warranty it.

Good Luck and have fun.

DEWFPO
Hrmmm .. ok thanks for the input , Im gonna call the Toyota guys just as soon as Im done with my finals and ask if they have TRD parts . :cheers:

·
fka FJ KROOZER
174 Posts
I'll save you the cost of the phone call and tell you that Toyota Lebanon does not sell any TRD parts. The accessories that they offer for the FJ is very limited and very expensive compared to the USA prices. You are better off importing your own TRD Supercharger from the US but then you will have the problem of reflashing the ECU once fitted. I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone in Lebanon that can reflash your ECU. Maybe you should look into the URD supercharger option as I don't think an ECU reflash is needed on their setup.

Alternatively if you want to stay reliable just stick a cold air intake, catback exhaust, y-pipe, headers and a unichip and be happy with whatever extra horsepower you will get out of those modifications.

Regards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll save you the cost of the phone call and tell you that Toyota Lebanon does not sell any TRD parts. The accessories that they offer for the FJ is very limited and very expensive compared to the USA prices. You are better off importing your own TRD Supercharger from the US but then you will have the problem of reflashing the ECU once fitted. I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone in Lebanon that can reflash your ECU. Maybe you should look into the URD supercharger option as I don't think an ECU reflash is needed on their setup.

Alternatively if you want to stay reliable just stick a cold air intake, catback exhaust, y-pipe, headers and a unichip and be happy with whatever extra horsepower you will get out of those modifications.

Regards.
Well my friend has a '10 FJ and he has a 5k$ sound system in it ( He's crazy I know) and some other minor mods on it but he wanted to boost it ( this was last week ) so I told him to call Toyota Lebanon and guess what , you were right ! They dont have any TRD parts and any accessory over here that they do have is way overpriced :/ But I do happen to know that there are a few shops that will turbo/reflash just about any engine so it's cool . Thanks for the advice :bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts