Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having the same problem with my booster pump as described in this post: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/166335-brake-accumulator-screeching-noise-help.html

I have noticed that the booster pump runs consistently every 10 seconds and runs for 1 to 2 seconds each time. It runs like this if the car is running and/or if I just have the key on without the engine running.

The screech noise has begun to happen less frequently but I can still hear a slight hiss after the pump runs.

Does anyone know how often this pump should run and if the hiss is normal?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
something is leaking thus not holding the vacuum. as a result the pump is running constantly trying to regulate the vacuum so you have brakes. check all the hoses make sure nothing is torn or loose.

·
Registered
435 Posts
^^^ and fix soon as you could eventually kill the pump if it's constantly running.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Is it possible you just need to bleed the brakes? Might be worth a try for the hell of it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies.

The screeching noise is back but still no issues otherwise. I have bled the brakes and there was no air in the system. I also bled the accumulator and it made no difference.

I've searched for leaks and there is nothing apparent. Level in the reservoir has never changed, other than a little from the bleeding.

Is it possible that a check valve is bad, allowing the pressure that the pump builds up to bleed back through? If so, any ideas on how to fix/replace it without buying the entire $2k unit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Booster Pump Issues SOLVED

Thanks to all those who made suggestions to this post, although overall I am disappointed in the lack of technical response on this entire blog.

I did solve the problem. The accumulator was bad. I found an OEM replacement online for $300. It took about 5 mins to change myself and I didn't have to bleed anything. It was no more difficult that changing the oil filter.

The dealer told me that the accumulator itself was not available as a replacement part and the entire booster assembly. $3K with labor!!!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Re: Booster Pump Issues SOLVED

Thanks to all those who made suggestions to this post, although overall I am disappointed in the lack of technical response on this entire blog.

I did solve the problem. The accumulator was bad. I found an OEM replacement online for $300. It took about 5 mins to change myself and I didn't have to bleed anything. It was no more difficult that changing the oil filter.

The dealer told me that the accumulator itself was not available as a replacement part and the entire booster assembly. $3K with labor!!!
Good for you, nobody is going to work on your vehicle like you would. Goes to show how much the dealer really knows. As far as knowledgeable people on this forum there's plenty that have helped me over the last 7 years. I never even heard of your problem before but I'm glad you fixed it yourself and shared it with the rest of us. :cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bumping a really old thread. I have the same issue with my booster constantly running. If the OP is still on here, did replacing the accumulator resolve the problem in the long term?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts