Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie who's had a few mods on his fj since buying in July of 19. Never been a fan of v-6 engines w aftermarket exhaust but for some reason wondering about possible Borla cat-back exhaust. Always been a flowmaster and muffler delete person but always owned muscle cars before this buy, which I Absolutely Love!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
There’s a few write ups on here about the Borla and a few other exhaust for the FJ you could review as well. Here’s an example,
Borla Exhaust vs TRD Exhaust

Plus, you might have already seen them but these are clips of how the Borla & TRD systems sound on the FJ.
The TRD as well,

I do understand what you’re referring too though, as I’ve owned a number of muscle cars as well. A Formula, Z-28, Corvette & a Saleen, all V8’s. In fact my Xterra was my first non sports car, and other than my FJ my daily is a small sports coupe. But yes I was never a fan of exhaust on V6 either. Between the somewhat odd sound, and performance drawbacks vs gains. That said I wouldn’t think Borla would design a bad system. And to me the TRD system is very close to stock, and personally was the one I had considered if I were to upgrade mine.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
So...just a quick opinion on the Borla Dual Exhaust. Im not sure any of the TRD or Borla or anyone else is worth the money. A V6 still sounds like a V6. The other legitimate knock about the dual exhaust tips is that it simply moves them to a position where if you do go offroading, it is easy to crush them dropoffs and ledges.

I personally think your best performance for the dollar is the Raptor ECU tune (see the couple different threads on that). I've been saving up for that purchase.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I added this little mod to the FJ. Pretty silly in fact and as the Silvfox stated probably pretty worthless for wheelin, but I dig it’s aesthetic dual outlet look, decent tone, and price I paid (heck cheaper than my motorcycle exhaust systems - oddly enough).

Next up is my Raptor Tune! Patiently awaiting it’s arrival.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Looks great

1) what is the length of the tip?
2) what is the diameter of the exhaust tips?

3)what do you think of the sound?
Well I added this little mod to the FJ. Pretty silly in fact and as the Silvfox stated probably pretty worthless for wheelin, but I dig it’s aesthetic dual outlet look, decent tone, and price I paid (heck cheaper than my motorcycle exhaust systems - oddly enough).

View attachment 1124658
View attachment 1124659
View attachment 1124660

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cat-Back Touring Exhaust System
  • Part #: 140405
  • 2.5" Dia. Exhaust Piping, 2" Dia. Tailpipes
  • 4" Round x 13" Tips
  • Split Rear Exit, Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tips
  • The links above do a decent job giving you an idea of the video sound

• As for the actual live sound, not really to much of a noticeable difference at idle really and the few miles completed post install (noticed a little more rumble but nothing crazy), although need to do a longer drive in order to get a better feel/sound of it. (Which probably won’t happen for a bit due to our unfortunate stay put situations).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 1124658
View attachment 1124659
View attachment 1124660
I assume you're not gonna take it off road. Exhaust will get squashed easily. I prefer a pipe w a curve that comes out higher, right behind rear tires. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
So while off roading and smashing the pipes that are faced down I’ll use my Raptor tune launch button to blast me out (like Lone Wolf Mcquade) and propel me to Starbucks before my Mall crawl commences.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you (or someone) post a picture of how you mounted the exhaust hanger bracket on the driver side rail? I'm wondering if the one that came with my kit is made properly. It doesn't look to be the same quality as the rest of the pieces. The rods that hold the hanger are lopped off sharp, and it's not very well finished. It looks like the bracket would have to mount very close to the fuel pump control (my FJ is a 2012 if that makes any difference). Also, the bracket has two drilled holes, but the hardware includes only one bolt, nut and washer, as if you're supposed to use an existing bolt for the other hole? Instructions are all but useless in this regard. I've looked all over the net for a picture of one installed and can't find one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you (or someone) post a picture of how you mounted the exhaust hanger bracket on the driver side rail? I'm wondering if the one that came with my kit is made properly. It doesn't look to be the same quality as the rest of the pieces. The rods that hold the hanger are lopped off sharp, and it's not very well finished. It looks like the bracket would have to mount very close to the fuel pump control (my FJ is a 2012 if that makes any difference). Also, the bracket has two drilled holes, but the hardware includes only one bolt, nut and washer, as if you're supposed to use an existing bolt for the other hole? Instructions are all but useless in this regard. I've looked all over the net for a picture of one installed and can't find one.
The Rods on my kit were more conical and looked proper and within Specs. The bracket that came with my kit only had 1 x Hole slotted in bracket and associated new hardware. You can see residual open hole from stock mount. If your had two holes in bracket then just use stock bolt for extra security (thinking I wish I had the double holed bracket for extra security). Mounting wasn’t to close to pump either. Contact Borla direct for another bracket and or warranty claim possibly regarding lopped off points. They’re really good to work with as I’ve had to contact them previously on a motorcycle ride exhaust bracket issue a while back. Pics requested and attached of Driver side bracket and mounting location (mines a 2013).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts