Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally, after years of floundering, bought my first welding machine!!:clap:

I purchased a Lincoln Weld Pak 140 HD Mig welder. This thing is tits! lol. Anyways, I laid down my first welds yesterday with my Brother in-law instructing me. He was pretty impressed with the quality of the machine, which impresses me. He's been welding for 20+ years.

Anyways, I'd like to get some insight from the welders on this sight. What is a good beginners project to start on? I'm thinking sliders would be easiest, but I'd like to here from you guys. I'd like to eventually make some bumpers, and a rack too.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,558 Posts
Sweet! I worked as a welder in a metal shop during college. Sliders would be pretty easy if you have a tube bender. You can pick one up cheap from harbor freight. If you do that fill the tube with sand before you bend it. It will reduce the wrinkles since its not a mandrel bender.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My first wedding project.

Took me about 4 weekends to finish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thats bad-ass! Looks great! Also looks as though it may not have been your first time tiling
This was my first time doing anything like this. I bought a welder and watched a youtube video to learn how to use it.

Rented a tile saw from home depot and took my time. (I did end up having to buy extra tile due to some bad cuts)

Planning everything out ahead of time is the hardest part.

Good luck with your future projects!

·
2,558 Posts
I built a lot of sculptures and furniture working at that metal shop. Once you get the hang of it, its really pretty easy. Like wegotg said, plan it out good, and buy extra. Welders are good for a lot more than just fab'ing FJ parts.

I designed and built this chair. It's not super comfortable, but its not bad and its a good conversation piece.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I built a lot of sculptures and furniture working at that metal shop. Once you get the hang of it, its really pretty easy. Like wegotg said, plan it out good, and buy extra. Welders are good for a lot more than just fab'ing FJ parts.

I designed and built this chair. It's not super comfortable, but its not bad and its a good conversation piece.
Thats a cool chair. If you made some distressed leather cushions to set in it, then it would be super comfy I bet, and still keep the industrial look to it

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Body mount chop with the re-inforcment cover weld!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Pretty wild first welding project :rocker:

I thought the first thing you were supposed to do with a new welder is to make a cart for it. That's what I did when I bought mine. I started off with a used 110V little mig even though I prefer a tig, they're just too expensive for occasional home use. Then I sold that and bought a Hobart 187 because it was last year's model and $100 less than the newer one with infinite voltage control, this only has a 7 step voltage control with infinite wire speed.

Then I built my rock rails using my cousin's tubing bender. It is a manual mandel style and I was able to bend 1 3/4" .120" wall DOM tubing.

Have fun welding :cheers:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Take a look at a Cobra Torch if you already have an oxy/acetylene setup. I saw one in action at a car show and it does cut sweet. I think it will do up to about 1/4" and is much less than a plasma cutter.

Syncrowave :rocker:

·
2,558 Posts
That miller is a sweet machine Brian. That's what we had at my old job. I never got REALLY good with the TIG, but I always enjoyed it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sweet! I'm hoping to learn how to weld sometime in the next year. I'd love to be able to weld small things here an there and do free body mount chops at mod party's.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sweet! I'm hoping to learn how to weld sometime in the next year. I'd love to be able to weld small things here an there and do free body mount chops at mod party's.
I don't want to guarantee this offer without checking...but I have a friend who is a professional welder in Apache Junction. I bet he wouldn't mind trading some beer for an intro lesson. Let me know if you want me to ask him.

He's not an FJ guy...more into old scouts and currently looking for parts for an old '56 caddy.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Take a look at a Cobra Torch if you already have an oxy/acetylene setup. I saw one in action at a car show and it does cut sweet. I think it will do up to about 1/4" and is much less than a plasma cutter.

Syncrowave :rocker:
First I've seen of the cobra torch. Have to look at it in a bit more detail.

That miller is a sweet machine Brian. That's what we had at my old job. I never got REALLY good with the TIG, but I always enjoyed it.
Good to hear. It came highly recommended by some folks. Guy was selling all the equipment out of a SS ducting shop and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Only tried tig once before and lets just say there is a long way to go on the learning curve :lol:. Got to start somewhere though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good to hear. It came highly recommended by some folks. Guy was selling all the equipment out of a SS ducting shop and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Only tried tig once before and lets just say there is a long way to go on the learning curve :lol:. Got to start somewhere though.
Heck I like TIG better beacuse you can slow down and manage the weld better. I always feel like I'm off to the races once I pull the trigger on a MIG. With a TIG you just start the arc, back off and keep it lit but not melting anything, then get your rod in position and slowly bring up the arc amperage until the puddle starts. The MIG just does it all in a split second and I hope I have it set right.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts