Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What's your preferred safety/recovery cutting tool and why?

• Bow Saw

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Axe

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Hatchet

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Machete

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Chain Saw

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Lopper/Pruner

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
planning a massacre?
lol.... hmmmm... maybe I better not wheel with poorbadger again!!!! lol :scared: :)

Ah, the MaxAxe - one of the guys I ride with has one but we haven't had a need to break it out yet. Expensive but versatile and compact considering all the attachments and uses.
My MaxAxe, maybe we never used it when you have been around! But I have used it as a shovel to dig a jeep out of a deep ditch and it was a LOT better than one of those little army folding things. And the Axe worked on smaller size trees and one heck of a monster tree trunk that fell across the trail.

Personally I like not having to carry a bunch of different tools.

But I am a little biased since I only paid $10 in raffle tickets to win this this thing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And there he is LOL - Hey Paul.

I'm taking some days off work next week - maybe a day trip or two and maybe a couple overnight towards Ocala/St. Augustine. Maybe we can see if we can find a place to use that fancy system of yours ;) I'll email you.

lol.... hmmmm... maybe I better not wheel with poorbadger again!!!! lol :scared: :)

My MaxAxe, maybe we never used it when you have been around! But I have used it as a shovel to dig a jeep out of a deep ditch and it was a LOT better than one of those little army folding things. And the Axe worked on smaller size trees and one heck of a monster tree trunk that fell across the trail.

Personally I like not having to carry a bunch of different tools.

But I am a little biased since I only paid $10 in raffle tickets to win this this thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I carry a Fiskars 23" axe but was pissed the other day that I did not have a chainsaw. I will cary both from now on.

I cut thru the first tree with the axe but gave up on the second which kept my from getting to a very secluded lake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
443 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
if you know how to use a axe and its a good one that is very sharp its amazing how fast one can get through a tree !
but it has to have a good blade and be sharp ! also it can easily be sharpened on the road
never runs out of gas :) maybe it does if you try to cut to much

to me if there were a bunch of trees in my way ? I would just hit another trail

now if I was up and they went down behind me that would suck !!

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is interesting, I spoke to the ranger station where we are going wheelin today and chainsaws are not allowed to be used between 1 pm and 8 pm due to fire hazard. Now if a tree goes down behind me and I need to get home they can fine me but I will not use it if I do not have to during those times.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Ever since I saw "Texas Chainsaw Masacre" I have been a fan of the saw.:worried:

So I had to vote for the chainsaw.:grim:

However I don't bring one along usually. I have a Fiskars 23" axe as part of my standard load-out and it does a very good job. Much of the trailing I do is in the southwest so the need for a chainsaw just isn't that great. But an axe is often useful as a piece of camp gear.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
An axe and shovel is required if Off-Roading in a National Forest some State forest have the same requirement too, or maybe it’s the other way around. It’s been many years since I checked with them. I do know that one of them do “Require” you to have both in your vehicle. I use to carry an axe and shovel bolted up inside the rear bed of my off-road 4x4 pickup; so it was a none issue for me since I already was caring them both. :D

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby and desire and inexpensive 18" machete, they are just short of giving them away...Super sale price $2.99. Comes with nylon sleeve and soft handle. I know they tend sell less than average quality stuff, but at this price I am extremely pleased. Yesterday I picked up the last two at my store.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Boy, I added my choice before I started reading your posts here. I had no idea using a chainsaw was such a problem in the states. Here it is almost a requirement. I had some pictures from my trip up north a couple weeks ago where there had been a pretty strong wind storm and there were trees down across the road for almost 400 meters, maybe 15 or 20 of them. No way you could expect to do that with anything other than a chainsaw.

Now having said that, I have been trained on use, maintenance and repair of them, have all the safety gear and never, ever use one by myself.

-SK

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Chainsaw is my choice, but a there is a lot of places you can't use them in. Saw is fast, but limited to smaller trees. So an axe it is. One like this:)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,934 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby and desire and inexpensive 18" machete, they are just short of giving them away...Super sale price $2.99. Comes with nylon sleeve and soft handle. I know they tend sell less than average quality stuff, but at this price I am extremely pleased. Yesterday I picked up the last two at my store.
Do you have the mask to go with these!?:worried:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
:cheers: bump...

·
Registered
210 Posts
O.K. here is somthing else to think about.
I went wheeling last weekend with a group of FJs and had my trusty chainsaw ready, we came across a fallen tree and I was so excited. I went to fire up the chainsaw and damn, it was flooded.:badrazz: I guess all the bouncing around caused it to flood.
My questions are:

1. Has this happeneed to anyone else?

2. what do you do to prevent this?

3. Has anyone tried using an electric chainsaw?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow....when I read the title, I thought it was about what you have on your roof rack!! I was about to say "I want a chainsaw on my roofrack" and then I remembered I don't have a roofrack....

21 - 40 of 48 Posts