Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"orig post from New FJ Cruiser 2009 Pics"

ok help me out guys. we need to brain storm here. i'm sure it possible , we just need all those wiz's out there to come together.

the plug for the VSC ( as shown in pic below the actual plastic plug) i'm assuming can be a bought as a part. now if there was a way to "bridge" the harness plug with a kill switch that would be "bridged" with the new plug that would be pluged in and keep it all no-cut stock and totally reversable. then just run the leads to the cabin and use the new 09 switch to keep it OEM looking? no warr. issues since it can be taken off in a jiffy?

first pic from "new 09 pic" thread
second from "Install of VSC cancel switch" thread

LET THE BRAIN STORMING BEGIN :rocker:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
"orig post from New FJ Cruiser 2009 Pics"

ok help me out guys. we need to brain storm here. i'm sure it possible , we just need all those wiz's out there to come together.

the plug for the VSC ( as shown in pic below the actual plastic plug) i'm assuming can be a bought as a part. now if there was a way to "bridge" the harness plug with a kill switch that would be "bridged" with the new plug that would be pluged in and keep it all no-cut stock and totally reversable. then just run the leads to the cabin and use the new 09 switch to keep it OEM looking? no warr. issues since it can be taken off in a jiffy?

first pic from "new 09 pic" thread
second from "Install of VSC cancel switch" thread

LET THE BRAIN STORMING BEGIN :rocker:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch.html ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i reviewed that post, i was thinking more along the lines of no cutting or splicing of the OEM harness. going to try and draw out my idea for a better visual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok , first off, is it possible to buy the connectors shown below? if not then this is pointless. If they are, here is what i am proposing. Bare with me I don't have a CAD program on my laptop so the diagram is a bit elementary.

if you were to take the connector( pic #1 "new" big connector) and connect it the the harness (pic #2 small OEM connector) have 2 leads coming out, then use Y connectors (pic #3) one for each lead ( one to the new"small" connector and one to the bypass switch) then you could plug in the "new small" connector back into the OEM VSC system connector. At this point you should have a bypass that could be removed at anypoint with no OEM harness cutting or slicing. the bypass can be wraped to protect again water etc etc.

OK let me have it!!!!! :mecry:

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
just a thought but maybe we can get the guys at Sparks Toyota to try and help us round up some parts or at least part #s for this. if its on a toyota it's got to have a part #

scotty

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure there is someone who is on the ins with a parts guy at a dealer or something. this is something we call can benefit from especially if it works as a no-cut no splice mod.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Yes, the connectors are available. I've bought similar connectors thru TRDSparks. You will need the P/N's for the connectors. They will not be able to look them up for you since it takes forever to research these things without the P/N's. BTDT. They typically run around $5-7 each.

You will need to know if they are waterproof connectors or not to get the correct pin/wires. If they are, the wires going into the connectors will be sealed.

They will come without pins/wires so you will need to get them as well. You will also need to give them the P/N's for the pins/wires for the same reasons. It takes some research to find them but I can help you with that since I just did it myself for another project.

The P/N on the connector will read something like 10916. That is only the second part of the P/N. It will need a 90980 in front of it so it looks like this : 90980-10916. See example photos below.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey that will work also. you can build it by using push in female and male connector. the "housing" is what makes it a " snap on - snap off" mod.

i checked and all i can see printed on the plugs are

small connector #11156 (pic 1)
big connector # 11155 (pic 2)
the small looks common to alot of connections in the engine compartment. not sure if that will help find the P/N's for them

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought that thread stated the switch is a momentary switch and the hack requires an on/off switch? Am I missing something? How does having those connectors remedy that?

pretty much it's the same, all i was looking for was a way to avoid cutting and splicing the original harness to avoid any warr voiding. something simple to be removed at any point. the leads that run through the fire wall would be easily disconnected from what ever switch you use by butt connectors. what the dealer can't see wont hurt you.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
hey that will work also. you can build it by using push in female and male connector. the "housing" is what makes it a " snap on - snap off" mod.

i checked and all i can see printed on the plugs are

small connector #11156 (pic 1)
big connector # 11155 (pic 2)
the small looks common to alot of connections in the engine compartment. not sure if that will help find the P/N's for them
O.K. So the connector P/N's are 90980-11155 and 90980-11156. Male and Female, Waterproof, 2-Pin Connectors.

For Connector 90980-11155, you need (2x) Pin/Wire 82998-12430 (these only come in 160mm long leads).

For Connector 90980-11156, you need (2x) Pin/Wire 82998-12440 (for the 160 mm long leads) or 82998-12590 (for the 500mm long leads) your choice.

I hope this helps.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are the bomb!!!! :rocker: and i can order that from Sparks? I'm in DE, i guess my local Toy dealer can order them. gonna call in the am. once i get them i'll let you guys know how it works or if anyone else wants to run with this as well lets c if we can make it work :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
you are the bomb!!!! :rocker: and i can order that from Sparks? I'm in DE, i guess my local Toy dealer can order them. gonna call in the am. once i get them i'll let you guys know how it works or if anyone else wants to run with this as well lets c if we can make it work :cheers:
Any dealer can get them for you. Nobody stocks these parts so they have to order them from the main warehouse. I get mine thru TRDSparks because they give me a good discount and no tax but unless your ordering a few parts, shipping can be bite into the discount/no tax quite a bit.

Glad I could help. Let us know how it works out.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
187 Posts
would love to see a write up on this for idiots like me.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I would also love to see a detailed write up! I hate throwing it in 4H just for some beach cruisin'! Bravo Zulu to the guys who got the part #'s together, so far so good! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I thought that thread stated the switch is a momentary switch and the hack requires an on/off switch? Am I missing something? How does having those connectors remedy that?
If you use this method a momentary switch will work but you have to cycle the ignition to turn it back off. You only need the on/off switch if you tap into the blue w/yellow stripe wire in the harness and use the grounding method to enable and disable it without cycling the ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
why not cruise a junkyard with a wirecutter and find the right male/female connectors for cheap? Knowing Toyota they didnt use a special connector never, ever used on any previous model ever before....

Basic idea is pretty cool! A jumper harness like those used to mod signals to/from the ECU... Going to visit the dealer because you have a drivetrain issue? remove harness & pop the switch blank back in :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts