Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had a custom labeled CD get jammed up in the Fjammer. Instead of fixing it, or attempting to get it warrantied, i picked up a free FJammer from a fellow forum member. Well, today i finally got around to pulling the old one out, and, i felt like taking it apart...

Step by step-ish:

After you pop the fascia off, you then pop the face plate off (there are tabs all around, just use a small flathead to lift them up..Its on there tight!)

Remove all the screws, and pop the silver plate off

The black piece on top with the toyota facotry label on it has a hinge in the back, so it just lifts up after the silver plate is removed

This is what happens to sticker-labels:

Gently remove the cd.. REMEMBER, everything inside there is very brittle, so no man-strength is necessary

Display the victim with honor

Viola!

So, now i have a spare FJammer, and the Original one is still spinning CD's for me ;) It never hurts to do-it-yourself :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the info on the labels.....

runs to vehicle to check for stupidity:lol:

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
they never fail me:

but thanks for the pictures on the guts of the Jammer.

/me wishes that I had pals to give me a spare radio

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a light scribe but it is so ridiculously slow that I've quit using it. I've never had a problem with stick on labels but I prefer the CD/DVDs that come with a writeable side on them, but sometimes they are out of stock.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Cool, thanks for the look inside the Jammer.

No label is hte best, it's like a new present every day, Surprise!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey Dom, nice work buddy! Great post, I feel better now!:)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
<== begins channeling cruiser larry....

anyone who interested in a lightscribe dvd drive come see me at best buy cerritos ill take care of you or feel free to call me

lol labels are bad use a sharpie or even paint but never labels!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was so simple to do it's not even funny..

People, don't take it to Toyota if ya got a problem, do it yourself.

...And use sharpies.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Dom, did it occur to you why they named it Fjammer? :lol:

Glad you got it out. How long was the process?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dunno.. but I could do it in less than 5 minutes.

I was doing a bit of tinkering with it at the same time.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
No joke. :lol:

Anyone know why certain CD's just won't go in? My Johnny Cash is severely neglected. :mecry:
Toyota figures you already injected enough 'cash' into your FJ, and is simply protecting you - at least that's my theory....

But it could possibly be some form of DRM that the stereo can't figure out, or some older CD's actually included a video or other non-music information on the same disk which would not play on some CD players, but worked well in your PC.

You could pop the CD into your computer and see if their anything on the disk other than music.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Toyota figures you already injected enough 'cash' into your FJ, and is simply protecting you - at least that's my theory....

But it could possibly be some form of DRM that the stereo can't figure out, or some older CD's actually included a video or other non-music information on the same disk which would not play on some CD players, but worked well in your PC.

You could pop the CD into your computer and see if their anything on the disk other than music.

The CD itself is fine and works in every other stereo, my alarm clock, pc, etc.

It seriously just won't go in... not as in goes in and comes back out, or won't read, but flat out the stereo won't accept it.

Is it possible a factory made store bought cd could be too thick?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well, I guess anything is possible. How about ripping the disk to a new CD and give that a try.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
This may or may not be related, but it did occur on the Mojave Road. We had a cd start making some really weird noise so we ejected it. It came out with a huge scratch on the "read" side of the disc. I am wondering if there is a piece of sand or gravel still in there that would ruin the next CD. Any thoughts?
Thanks Dom for the write up. I've been wondering about tearing apart the FJammer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks DominicG,

I just performed the "surgery" and the patient came out great. Stinking CD labels, guess I'll go back to markers.

Bruce:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts