Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I brake no matter what speed I'm going it pulls hard left. The last time I drove it I experienced a terrible brake smell and lots of heat coming from the right wheel well and brake. I replaced the rotors and pads over the summer so I have a hard time believing its that but who knows, maybe calipers next? Any help would be great because it became a little dangerous to drive, especially on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
...and my recommendation is to use Toyota calipers, as the aftermarket ones can be a real grab bag of quality/longevity.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Symptoms are typical of a stuck caliper piston & dragging brake pad.

After a 15 minute 50 MPH run, try to coast to a stop and take a front rotor temperature reading using a non-contact IR thermometer. One rotor significantly hotter than the other indicated a dragging pad. Hot enough to smell roasted pad material means there is a critical defect. The vehicle may be pulling to the left under a hard stop because the RH brakes are overheated and have already "faded" by the time you start to press on the brake pedal. This type of constant drag should show up as abysmal fuel economy.

If the brakes on one wheel are significantly hotter than the other, that's a sure sign of dragging brakes, or a disintegrating wheel bearing.

You didn't mention what year FJ this is, or where you are located, but stuck caliper pistons (usually the lower ones) are frequently caused by moisture-induced corrosion in the piston bores. Brake fluid should be flushed regularly (every 30 - 50K miles), especially given the $$$ cost of replacing the FJ's master cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Symptoms are typical of a stuck caliper piston & dragging brake pad.

After a 15 minute 50 MPH run, try to coast to a stop and take a front rotor temperature reading using a non-contact IR thermometer. One rotor significantly hotter than the other indicated a dragging pad. Hot enough to smell roasted pad material means there is a critical defect. The vehicle may be pulling to the left under a hard stop because the RH brakes are overheated and have already "faded" by the time you start to press on the brake pedal. This type of constant drag should show up as abysmal fuel economy.

If the brakes on one wheel are significantly hotter than the other, that's a sure sign of dragging brakes, or a disintegrating wheel bearing.

You didn't mention what year FJ this is, or where you are located, but stuck caliper pistons (usually the lower ones) are frequently caused by moisture-induced corrosion in the piston bores. Brake fluid should be flushed regularly (every 30 - 50K miles), especially given the $$$ cost of replacing the FJ's master cylinder.
Thank you so much for the information, I will try those things and see whats up. I hope its not too expensive because damn this hobby is pricey! My FJ is a 2007 and currently I am located in Chicago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts