Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My first FJ, a 2010, would have issues when I hit a bump or pothole. If I was stepping on the brakes while my front tires made contact with a good sized bump or pothole, the pedal went to the floor. It usually took 3-5 seconds to return to normal. This had nothing to do with wet, dry, or snow covered roads. It had everything to do with making impact with a defect in the road surface while braking. I have not found any way to correct the issue.

What I did do was trade my 2010 FJ in for a 2013 FJ. While I doubt there will be any change in the brake system, I will take my new FJ to what I call the "brake free zone" and hit the bumps in the road that I know have caused me to lose my ability to brake on many times in the past. The best part...this zone is on an interstate highway and leads into a tight turn. Braking is necessary...but I've learned to be ready for no brakes. More to come.....

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
No sacrifices for "science" please :)
:lol:
My first FJ, a 2010, would have issues when I hit a bump or pothole. If I was stepping on the brakes while my front tires made contact with a good sized bump or pothole, the pedal went to the floor. It usually took 3-5 seconds to return to normal. This had nothing to do with wet, dry, or snow covered roads. It had everything to do with making impact with a defect in the road surface while braking. I have not found any way to correct the issue.

What I did do was trade my 2010 FJ in for a 2013 FJ. While I doubt there will be any change in the brake system, I will take my new FJ to what I call the "brake free zone" and hit the bumps in the road that I know have caused me to lose my ability to brake on many times in the past. The best part...this zone is on an interstate highway and leads into a tight turn. Braking is necessary...but I've learned to be ready for no brakes. More to come.....
:popblood:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same problem with ABS brakes overcorrecting. Approaching a stoplight that just turned red at about 50 mph. Put foot on brakes as I hit a pavement heave (all the way across the road). ABS kicked in and what should have been a slow gentle stop, turned into a loss of braking that almost put me out into the intersection. Have been through this same intersection, under the same conditions in several other vehicles where the ABS returned full braking performance after 10 or so feet.

2013 model , mfg date of 12/12 VIN 159656. Stock tires and wheels, 3" Toytec lift

Also had locked-up a tire from slow speed and screeching stop. Crossed a railroad track just as I hit the brakes for a stop light at about 20 mph. Truck stopped OK but with one tire locked up the whole time. No safety issue, but kind of embarrassing.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hey Al, Are you talking about hitting rough road first then applying brakes having the pedal go to the floor? If so it's happen to me a couple of times not to mention having the steering wheel pulling hard right or left after hitting the brakes hard in a panic stop. Nature of the beast...:rofl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealership told me it was because of the rims which are only 10lbs heavier than the stock TRD Bead locks that's only 2.5 lbs heavier per rim. I do run larger tires 33 12.50 Nittos. After changing all brakes and brand new rotors and a bleed its still stopping slower than it should?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had it happened to me about 3 -4 times. Going up very slight uphill road and very slight downhill and when I hit the brake on uneven surface it feels like loss of brakes despite my foot on the brake. I nearly hit the car in front of me. Thank God the brakes finally worked. Needless to say, my heart was beating a mile a minute. it seems to happen on uneven surface.

I did report this to the Toyota mechanics and they said they've never heard of this happening and if it happens again to keep foot on the brake.

2007 vin JTEBU11

·
Registered
48 Posts
it happened to me today (going downhill), the only difference is mine stayed without brakes, got back home safely (was only a block away) went to the bathroom to clean out and changed underwear.. got back out brakes were back tried to move car and no brakes again..after reading most of the post on this thread everybody seems to have brakes back, iam afraid to go down the hill again without them... will need towtruck to move the car now... my dashboard lid up like a Christmas tree..check engine,abs,brake light

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Bummer Alex, I wouldn't let any grass grow under my feet getting that fixed! Let us know what they find and get back to us. To me it sounds like your master cylinder went. Did you check the brake fluid level? Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 FJ i had same problem as well whenever i hit a pothole it felt like brakes gave out took it to toyota after $2K it seems resolved the front wheels had too much play the joints gave out my FJ has 140K miles i drive 100 miles a day to work and its all NYC driving so my car takes a serious beating. but also had a weird squeak whenver i drove related to the front tires after the work above was done it stopped but now its back after i hit a pothole yesterday ughhh back to the shop

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 FJ 4wd. 111,750 miles. During panic stops the right front tire locks up. While the remaining tires brake normally. I suppose it may just be a defective or failed sensor on the right front. But i’ve not diagnosed it. I do feel the ABS system pulsing. However it’s not as pronounced as other vehicles i’ve owned with ABS. This behavior would be very concerning if one is pulling a trailer. Fortunately i drive more cautiously when pulling a trailer and have not needed to make a panic stop.

I have experienced the sudden full on braking immediately after applying mild to moderate brake pressure on a couple of occasions. I don’t recall the specific road conditions. I’ve not characterized this behavior further. Other than being unexpected i’d rather have sudden braking over none.

I’ve not experienced the under responsive braking issues other have reported.

241 - 255 of 255 Posts