Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Brake Issues - Report your Date of Manufacture and VIN

55K views 258 replies 152 participants last post by  norm356 
#1 ·
I'll start.

Unreliable brakes that do the 'confused' thing, as well as the 'oh sh*t you tapped the brake pedal twice so I'm going to floor the brake pedal for you!!'

bought in April '06, manufactured in 2/06 I believe, and VIN 3371

ps - still love my quirky truck

#2 ·
Mine has done this several times, but fortunately hasn't caused an accident (yet).

Bought my 2007 FJ used in December 2008, built 01/2006, VIN 001113.

#3 ·
Mine has done it also, built feb 07 vin 78000

#4 ·
As Bostonian1976 alluded to, there may be two separate and distinct issues with the brakes that we should differentiate between:

1) The 'UNRESPONSIVE' issue - this seems to happen when braking at low speeds (under 40mph) and one side of the vehicle hits a pothole, uneven pavement, or loose gravel. The result is that the brakes become momentarily unresponsive until you release and pump the brake pedal again. This has happened to me three times in two years (42,000 miles). After it happened the second time, I went back to the same spot and tried several times to recreate it and was successful only once. So IMO it is not a common phenomenon and the conditions under which it happens are very specific. This is the issue that sounds very similar to the current Prius brake issue. It definitely feels like the brake electronics/software are confused and get caught in a momentary glitch as it figures out what to do.

2) The 'OVERRESPONSIVE' issue - this seems to happen under very similar conditions to the other isssue - i.e., low speed braking over uneven or broken pavement. The result is that the brakes become super sensitive to the point that normal braking flings you and your passengers hard into to your seatbelt restraints, as if you are slamming on your brakes. I was able to recreate this issue over and over at a particular intersection near my house and it seems to occur when you are braking firmly to a stop and there is broken pavement on both sides of the car but staggered (e.g., right wheels hit pothole and then a few feet later left wheels his uneven pavement. The brake pedal gets a little mushy and then WHAM... the brakes kick in big time. I am pretty sure that this condition is created by the Brake Assist function. While pretty unsettling, the good news is that you ARE stopping quickly (just hope you're not sipping a cup of hot coffee while this happens!). I was also able to reduce the occurance of this issue by inflating my tires to a higher PSI - at 39 psi, it pretty much went away.

I have 2007 but will have to update built date and VIN later as I don't have my FJC with me now.

#63 ·
i have had both of these problems over my year and a half with my fj and i think that the underesponsive brakes might have been the cause of my accident because i had my foot on the brakes but didnt even begin stopping until the stop sign and gully did it for me. i was on ice but ive stopped on slippery-er things before. also if they do find a problem with fj brakes could i somehow get out of my deductible and or demerit points? (mine was built in either august or july 2006 i think)

#5 ·
I've not yet had a problem with my FJC, I've only had it for a month or so. However I've owned both a '07 Prius and a '08 Tacoma and both scared the hell out of me when the brakes suddenly felt UNRESPONSIVE when I hit uneven pavement. It seemed as it the Anti Skid kicked in and the brakes just quit working for a moment. I don't remember if I pumped the pedal or not. All happened too fast.

#6 · (Edited)
We have had both issues. Once was the pot hole thing and I thought I would have to hit the ditch to avoid the cars in front of me. The second time the g/f said she was slowing down (low speed) and the "The 'OVER-RESPONSIVE' issue"
happened. It was winter and ice/snow covered. The Brakes locked and threw the truck into a spin and hit a parked car. I thought she was full of $hit at the time but now it sounds like there is a problem. $5000+ damage to the fj and $1100 to the minivan she hit. And who knows what my new insurance rates will be? Now I'm wonder if I should bring this to Toyota's attention?

#16 ·
We have had both issues. Once was the pot hole thing and I thought I would have to hit the ditch to avoid the cars in front of me. The second time the g/f said she was slowing down (low speed) and the "The 'OVER-RESPONSIVE' issue"
happened. It was winter and ice/snow covered. The Brakes locked and threw the truck into a spin and hit a parked car. I thought she was full of at the time but now it sounds like there is a problem. $5000+ damage to the fj and $1100 to the minivan she hit. And who knows what my new insurance rates will be? Now I'm wonder if I should bring this to Toyota's attention?

fill out the nhtsa form asap.

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint

#8 ·
I too have had the exact same experience with unresponsiveness when braking over uneven pavement. It's happened three times in the year and a half I've owned it. Luckily without incident. Built 7/06 0033566

#10 ·
Build 05/07 VIN0093048

Had brakes fail twice, in the same location. Dry conditions, hit pothole with rear left wheel and at the same time applied brakes. 1st time it happened, I had to blow a stop sign and swerve right to avoid a collision. I was going about 30mph, hence wanting to apply brakes for the stop sign. The brake pedal went all the way down and surged (ABS) very little, which made me come to the conclusion that the ABS was first trying to correct the loss of traction to the one wheel first. 2nd time it happened, I immediately reapplied the brakes and had full control again.

I have also had the "over response" 3 times. Not funny when it happens on the freeway going 65mph.

#11 ·
The brake issue being discussed here seems to have earmarks of an ECU problem. VSC is disabled when selecting 4WD, either high or low, but the ABS and BA (Brake assist) are functional (active) except when in 4WD Low with the rear locker engaged.
Can those that have had experienced the “unresponsive situation” repeat it when in 4WD, when the VSC is off? I realize we are talking about a brake failure here, but the failure you have experienced was in conditions when the VSC may be trying to take control.
It would be disastrous to repeat the brake failure occurrence described in this thread on Black Bear.

#12 ·
Happened to me. Going over a speed bump in front of a stop sign At about 25 mph. It felt like I had no brakes and I did not get the ABS to kick in and nearly blew through the stop sign. I went around the block and did it again. Round 2 felt like I had no brakes for an instant and then WHAMMO!!!!! too much brakes and the RIDICULOUS ABS kicked in. Built some time in 06 vin 6752

#15 · (Edited)
07' blackdiamond MT6 4x4:
bought in April '06, manufactured in 2/06 I believe, and VIN 5933
07' sunfusion MT6 4x4:
bought in June '06, manufactured in 4/06 I believe, and VIN 16073

both fj's do the same 'confused' thing...

'UNRESPONSIVE' & 'OVERRESPONSIVE'... for example, braking over
an uneven surface, pothole, etc, we get the unresponsive first,
then lifting and hitting the pedal again triggers the overresponsive...

#18 ·
I'm thinking a lot of us have not reported this because we're loyal to our trucks and have always accepted them as 'quirky' and overlooked things.

Now that the issue is broader, and it's apparent there are some serious safety concerns here...it may be a good idea to bring this to someone's attention without being the "I hate Toyota now" type of reporting....

#21 ·
I agree completely. I have the same issues and kept accepting it as a quirk. However, it truly is a safety issue and I will report it. I have been lucky no accidents as Result but I did roll into an intersection once because the brakes were confused. I lovey truck but would never forgive myself if someone was injured as a result of my staying loyal and ignoring the issue.

#22 ·
*Saving spot for build info* VIN 5503 AT purchased 3/06

I've only experienced the unresponsive issue. Happened several times, railroad tracks and potholes. Lost all stopping power/control. Learned to give it gas then brake again to trick it to work. The other ABS cars I've owned did not act in this manner.

Has not happened since I got rid of the IFS :D No longer have front sensors, whatever that does to the ECU...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/9179-braking.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/48699-scary-brake-moment-today.html

#23 ·
The under responsiveness just happened to me yesterday stopping (or should I say trying to stop) at an intersection over pot holes. Scared the crap out of me! Not sure of my VIN right now but it's a March 07 build.

#24 ·
Happened to me once as well. Trying to slow down from 50 mph to turn on a side street. Brake pedal to the floor but no braking or abs. I ended up going straight towards the ditch. I was lucky enough that nobody else was around and I didn't hit anything. I take this same road everyday but it only happened to me once. Mine is an 07.

#25 ·
2008 model, purchase Nov. '08, VIN 39467
Mine has done it several times, once when I hit a pothole, and a few times when one or more wheels hit some really smooth and slippery ice. However, based on comparison with 7 other cars equipped with ABS I have owned in the past, this is not much different to what the other cars would have done in the same situation. FJ's brakes are not spectacular, but they are not worse than a BMW, an Opel and a VW I used the drive. ABS brakes have their quirks that one has to get used to, and ABS is not subsitute for prudent driving, especially in less-then-ideal driving conditions. I judge the behavior of my FJ's brakes to be perfectly normal - not better, not worse than other ABS-equipped cars I have owned before.

#26 ·
it looks like you haven't had these issues come into play. If you experienced them, you probably wouldn't be saying this. It's complete loss of control...

#27 ·
Whoa... I just went through 4 forum threads that address this issue and came up with 69 forum members who have stated that they have experienced this braking issue! I don't mean to be a 'Chicken Little' here but we should all log our issues with the NHTSA... Unfortunately many of the posters below posted several months ago and may no longer be active.

1)Bostonian1976
2)Clues
3)FJC8871
4)410fortune
5)CanadaFJ
6)Nevadaesh
7)fightingzero
8)MIGZ
9)Bertsfj
10)CaliChaos
11)Swingshiftworker
12)FJ-Fred
13)Fj6high
14)toytaco
15)4X4TONKA
16)gab
17)Shadrach
18)Kokopelli
19)fjessence
20)Frankv64
21)Brades
22)JData
23)SwiCago
24)njFJcruiser
25)crusherII
26)azngrilla
27)tahoe66
28)Marksr
29)kbjames
30)FJ in O.B.
31)CowboyCEO
32)CtheProducer
33)Sublimespot
34)POPROCKS
35)FJTEXAS
36)FJ4J
37)frogeye
38)bkw
39)lefinn
40)qua77ro
41)Toyandgadgetguy
42)Tarik
43)Pat-Cruiser
44)stabler
45)Diesel1
46)Sharky
47)Ohiobenz
48)Atomic
49)9mmMike
50)fjaycottrell24
51)FJWOODY
52)1983FJ60
53)droidcore
54)azsarge
55)Glacers77
56)They call me the cruiser
57)milesglynn
58)BlackCherryota
59)FJ666
60)HurricaneGT
61)Mobydog
62)Slingblade
63)bandi
64)canard
65)genxweb
66)Crimlaw
67)MissFJ
68)cynner
69)fredk

If I have incorrectly included you on the list by misinterpreting your post, let me know and I'll delete you off.

#31 ·
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint

Just completed the formal report for my issue. I dismissed the problem when it happened (even though it scared the hell out of me). After reading other’s accounts of the same thing, I strongly believe there is an issue that needs to be investigated further. Is the above (NHTSA) the best place to report this problem?

#32 ·
Have experienced both brake anomalies. No accidents, no damages, just a dirty look from the wife.

Build date 02/08, Vin 30828:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.