Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing out my brake lines for SS lines this weekend. Will I need to purge the Master Cylinder or can I just flush as normal? Topping off fluid as needed. No VAG tool required?

I also have the speed bleeders to do as one person job:)

Thanks

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I just bled old school (2 man) adding as necessary. Seems to work fine, since I've yet to hit anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
You only need two people to do the front. For the rear just turn the ignition key on and open bleeder. The rear brakes are real easy to bleed.
Also if you shop around you can get the SS line kit for all 6 hoses. Mine only had 4 so the rears at the caliper are still rubber.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You only need two people to do the front. For the rear just turn the ignition key on and open bleeder. The rear brakes are real easy to bleed.
Also if you shop around you can get the SS line kit for all 6 hoses. Mine only had 4 so the rears at the caliper are still rubber.
Thanks guys.. I went with Man-A-Fre hoses, includes all 6....

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask. How many 12oz bottles of Dot 3 will I need for the flush?

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Forgot to ask. How many 12oz bottles of Dot 3 will I need for the flush?
If you use 12 ounce bottles I would get three for a complete flush. You also have the option of using Dot 3, 4 or Dot 5.1. Do not use Dot 5. When I changed my lines and calipers I used Motul Dot 5.1. In comparison it has a much higher boiling point and life expectancy.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.. Those that are running 2010+ and changing out their brake line from Man-A-Fre, the rear lines by the axle; bracket needs to be dremeled out to fit lines. The hoses fitment is to small for the bracket.. What a pain in the a$$.... But got it all buttoned up...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
(Update, had bad rear bleeders, all is okay) Speed Bleeders overnighted me a new set, great customer service

Major problem!!!!!

(correction, they are bleeding from the nipple)

So inspected the rear Speed Bleeders I installed this past week and they are leaking. After noticing brake fluid all over the rear tires I turned the ignition on and pressed the brake pedal, sure enough both are bleeders are leaking, seems as though from the nipple! For those who have installed these any suggestions? I'm positive they are the correct dimension as I contacted the manufacture before installing them- SB7100 front and SB1010 rear. ..

Most likely I will need to re-bleed the rears; can I only do the rears or do I have to bleed the whole system again?

I've been driving like this for 4 days now....

What a pain :ugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
how did these speed bleeders end up working for you long term? I am looking to purchase and install the same SB7100 (front) and SB1010 (rear) on my 2011 FJ in the next two weeks or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts