Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not repeating old information, but I have been having brake noise when in reverse, and finally decided to call the dealer service department about it. He said a service bulletin was issued for this problem, and requires the replacement of the front rotors, and some clips (covered under warranty). He stated it is NOT a safety issue, but a noise issue.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but wanted to get as many eyes on this as possible.

Looks like I get new rotors at 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have that too... I guess I'll have to call the dealer...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hope I am not repeating old information, but I have been having brake noise when in reverse, and finally decided to call the dealer service department about it. He said a service bulletin was issued for this problem, and requires the replacement of the front rotors, and some clips (covered under warranty). He stated it is NOT a safety issue, but a noise issue.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but wanted to get as many eyes on this as possible.

Looks like I get new rotors at 15,000 miles.
Could you please find out what the TSB number for the bulletin is??

THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Mine has been doing this since I have had it. Only when I first back out of the garage in the morning or when I back up before leaving work. I figured it was just moisture. I think it happens to most FJ's. 37k miles

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has been doing this since I have had it. Only when I first back out of the garage in the morning or when I back up before leaving work. I figured it was just moisture. I think it happens to most FJ's. 37k miles
That is when I will get the noise, especially in the winter. He said is does have to do with the rotors being cold.

If I have a chance, I will call about the number of the bulletin, otherwise I will get it when I take it in Tuesday.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I did not no there was TSB for this..

I get this when backing down the driveway after letting the FJ sit for more than a day.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, I was told that this is a same day fix. They did have to order the parts, so they can't get it in until next week.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I did not no there was TSB for this..

I get this when backing down the driveway after letting the FJ sit for more than a day.
I get the noise whenever I am at low speeds coming to a stop in forward to reverse. Almost as if something is lightly "clanking" on the brake's backing plate/dust cover.

This might be the TSB number
BR005R-07 SEP 07 Brakes - Front Brake Noise When Applied Backing Up

I've lubed the drive train and also checked alignment points for loose fasteners.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
I get a slight squeal when backing up, but only after operating in the rain/snow. Is this the problem that is being addressed? Not a clunk or rattle?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get a slight squeal when backing up, but only after operating in the rain/snow. Is this the problem that is being addressed? Not a clunk or rattle?
It is for a "squeeking" sound when backing up. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask, although all I did was mention the squeeking when backing up, and they scheduled me for the fix.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I think most FJCs have this sound (not sure about 08s). What is the cause? I always thought that it was surface rust caused by moisture overnight. My FJC howls when I back up.

If it can be fixed sign me up :rocker:

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
It is for a "squeeking" sound when backing up. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask, although all I did was mention the squeeking when backing up, and they scheduled me for the fix.
Thanks dawg!

I think most FJCs have this sound (not sure about 08s). What is the cause? I always thought that it was surface rust caused by moisture overnight. My FJC howls when I back up.

That's what I thought too. I'll get mine in for a fix.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The service tech didn't specify the cause, but said that the rotors need to be replaced. I will try to post more info after I get mine back Tuesday, unless somebody can get theirs in before then and post some info on it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The service tech didn't specify the cause, but said that the rotors need to be replaced. I will try to post more info after I get mine back Tuesday, unless somebody can get theirs in before then and post some info on it.
Wow, are they covering the costs? The rotors need to be replaced?! hmmm.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I back out of the garage everytime, hot or cold and apply the brakes I hear one clank. I'm almost sure it is the caliper pistons hitting the brake pad. Or the brake pad hitting the rotor. Mine has done this for 2 years. Maybe I'll call my service guy and ask him about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
having the same issue since when i bought it. Did not think much about it. Is the TSB below confirmed for this issue:

BR005R-07 SEP 07 Brakes - Front Brake Noise When Applied Backing Up

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yep, happens to me too! Off to the dealer I go...

1 - 20 of 208 Posts