Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a small squeak when stepping on the brakes. The FJ is new only a few days old.

It sounds kinda hydraulic-y... anyone have a similar problem? At first I thought maybe it just needs to be broken in (still on first tank of gas), but now I'm not sure and thought I would pick the brains of the collective hive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've had that problem too, it sounds squishy everytime i push on the brakes

That's exactly how mine is - makes a squishy sound. Bugged me since I drove it off the lot. Anyone know what this is, or how to fix it?

·
Banned
393 Posts
FJ uses a hydraulic brake booster, which in turn is operated with compressed air (not a vacuum booster like most cars). What you hear is the compressor. It operates once every 2-4 stops (depending on how hard you press the pedal).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine sounds the same.... and it does it each time I press the brake. I kinda of just got used to it, but if there is a fix I would be interested in hearing about it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
FJ uses a hydraulic brake booster, which in turn is operated with compressed air (not a vacuum booster like most cars). What you hear is the compressor. It operates once every 2-4 stops (depending on how hard you press the pedal).
good to know, Ive noticed no so much a squishy sound but a strange noise every few times I press the brake pedal, never really thought much of it but it sounds like thats what Im hearing.

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
just got mine about 2 weeks ago and it does the same thing. I haven't tried to do anything about it cause i've experienced this sound before from my clutch pedal on my evo and don't consider it worry some...just a little annoying. The issue on the evo was due to a lack of grease on the clutch shaft form adjusting it. if you want to see if that helps your brake pedal give it a shot with some lube (LOL), just make sure you use a lithium based grease.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a two week old 2011 and I have the hydraulic-y squish too. I hadn't really noticed it, but my wife drove my FJ and it really bothered her. While I would be interested in a solution, I kind of like the wife borrowing my FJ deterrent effect. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes ,my 2010 is new and only 2 1/2 weeks old with the exact same squeaky brake noise! Its not very loud but can be annoying. I'd like a fix to this too.

regards

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Well I just went out an looked around and was able to determine that it has nothing to do with the saft being lubed properly like I thought. I do think it's vacuum related though becuase after pumping the pedal numerous times with the truck off the sound would stop. It came back after I turned the engine on and the brake system built the vacuum back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts