Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Toyo rebuilt my front brake system on Memorial Day based on the TSB that has been talked about here on the forum.

The squealing is GONE and the brakes seem much stiffer! How many have actually taken their rig in to get checked for this? How many have gotten the work done and what is your opinion of the fix?

Chime in! I am really pleased with the fix.

Kim :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You don't happen to know which range of models was affected, do you?

I see you've got an '07, but I don't experience any squealing or misbehaving brakes on my '08...

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I see you've got an '07, but I don't experience any squealing or misbehaving brakes on my '08...
Joe, mine screamed like a Banshee from the day I brought him home, August 10, 2006. I took it back in twice, asking them to check it, and was told that it was due to the brake pads Toyota was using. I just put up with it.

Anyhow, this TSB eliminated the squealing and my brakes seem to me to be a lot tougher and not so trigger happy when I hit the brake pedal. I don't know if this was fixed with the 08s or what.

Kim:cheers:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My 08 (build 11/07) has no brake squeal or noise at all, however it does have trigger happy brakes. I've had to learn to brake all over, but driving TJ's for ten years will condition you to not having brakes. On my TJ's you could place your foot completely on the brake pedal with no effect at all. It took considerable pressure to actually get braking. No so with the FJ... hit the pedal like that and you'll throw stuff all over the vehicle.. Massive brakes.. Ron

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hey folks, Toyo rebuilt my front brake system on Memorial Day based on the TSB that has been talked about here on the forum.

The squealing is GONE and the brakes seem much stiffer! How many have actually taken their rig in to get checked for this? How many have gotten the work done and what is your opinion of the fix?

Chime in! I am really pleased with the fix.

Kim :cheers:
I'd like to get this fixed on mine but I don't really want to have to leave it over night so that they can reproduce the sound before they will do the work. I'll most likely take care of this problem early July when I'm on vacation.

Did you have to leave your FJ overnight to reproduce the Howl? Mine will only do it first thing in the morning. I'm happy with my brakes so I'm not in a huge hurry to take care of the TSB.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had mine in almost two weeks ago, and the squeeling is gone and I couldn't be happier. I took it in first thing in the morning, and it was out by 1500. Again, for those with this question, I simply called the dealership up and told them my brakes squeeled in reverse, they looked for a TSB, found it, and scheduled me in for the fix. The only info I gave them was that I have a 2007 FJ.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I had mine in almost two weeks ago, and the squeeling is gone and I couldn't be happier. I took it in first thing in the morning, and it was out by 1500. Again, for those with this question, I simply called the dealership up and told them my brakes squeeled in reverse, they looked for a TSB, found it, and scheduled me in for the fix. The only info I gave them was that I have a 2007 FJ.
My dealer said they would need to reproduce the sound before they can just fix it (understandable but a PIA). Hmmm. Maybe I'll try another dealer in the area.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My dealer said they would need to reproduce the sound before they can just fix it (understandable but a PIA). Hmmm. Maybe I'll try another dealer in the area.
When I called in, it was no questions asked. They just said to bring it in and they would fix it, which they did.

As I posted in the original thread I started in regards to this, the dealership that I go to (Liberty Toyota/Scion of Colorado Springs) is excellent to do business with in all aspects. I have heard from other folks in different areas that some dealerships will do everything it takes to get out of their responsibilities. I would think it should be as simple as finding another dealership.

All I told them is that my brakes squeeled when in reverse. Did you make them aware that there is a TSB in regards to this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My brakes squeal sometimes on my 08. I did a search for TSB on the NHTSA site but didn't find anything brake related. Can you post more information?

·
Registered
458 Posts
My brakes squeal sometimes on my 08. I did a search for TSB on the NHTSA site but didn't find anything brake related. Can you post more information?
There is a sticky at the top of this forum in regards to TSBs. I provided the number there, and will try to find the original thread in regards to this and post it here.:)

Edit: Here you go: "BR8005 FRONT BRAKE NOISE IN REVERSE TSB" . That is how it was listed on the invoice they gave me after the work was completed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you for that, I need to get off the RSS feed.

It looks like this TSB is only for those brakes that squeal while in reverse. My brakes squeal when normal braking, not always but sometimes and not obnoxiously loud, just enough to be annoying. It's done this since brand new.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just did it last week

2 New Front Rotors for Free

Have noticed a marginal difference - Feels a bit firmer on the stop and the noise is gone

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to get this fixed on mine but I don't really want to have to leave it over night so that they can reproduce the sound before they will do the work. I'll most likely take care of this problem early July when I'm on vacation.

Did you have to leave your FJ overnight to reproduce the Howl? Mine will only do it first thing in the morning. I'm happy with my brakes so I'm not in a huge hurry to take care of the TSB.
No Frogeye, I did not have to leave it overnight at all. Seriously, my dealership's service department assigned me a service rep when I bought my FJ. The guy really looks out for me but moreover, he trusts what I tell him about my truck. I told him it was doing this and there were no questions asked at all.

Kim

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for that, I need to get off the RSS feed.

It looks like this TSB is only for those brakes that squeal while in reverse. My brakes squeal when normal braking, not always but sometimes and not obnoxiously loud, just enough to be annoying. It's done this since brand new.
O, mine SQUEALED regardless of whether I was in Drive or in reverse! It was totally obnoxious!

Kim

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No Frogeye, I did not have to leave it overnight at all. Seriously, my dealership's service department assigned me a service rep when I bought my FJ. The guy really looks out for me but moreover, he trusts what I tell him about my truck. I told him it was doing this and there were no questions asked at all.

Kim
Well, I'll call my dealer where I bought it and see if they give me the run around. I've found that all dealers are different and very inconsistent on how they handle things.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When I called in, it was no questions asked. They just said to bring it in and they would fix it, which they did.

As I posted in the original thread I started in regards to this, the dealership that I go to (Liberty Toyota/Scion of Colorado Springs) is excellent to do business with in all aspects. I have heard from other folks in different areas that some dealerships will do everything it takes to get out of their responsibilities. I would think it should be as simple as finding another dealership.

All I told them is that my brakes squeeled when in reverse. Did you make them aware that there is a TSB in regards to this?

Kim
I just got off the phone with my dealer (Toyota of El Cajon) and the Service manager looked up the TSB and said that he would order the parts and schedule me for Saturday morning. The only problem is that they still want me to leave it with them overnight so that they can reproduce the sound and make sure that is the problem. So, they're gonna hook me up with another rental and take care of it first thing in the morning. They want to be sure that they are addressing the problem and not just taking care of the TSB. Oh well, at least they are going to do it first thing in the morning.

He said it's new rotors, brake pads, and a special grease for the back plate of the pads. He also stated that this would not fix the problem but should reduce the howling. I'm going to let them fix it. They've always done a nice job even though they seem to be very by the books.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealer (Toyota of El Cajon) and the Service manager looked up the TSB and said that he would order the parts and schedule me for Saturday morning. The only problem is that they still want me to leave it with them overnight so that they can reproduce the sound and make sure that is the problem. So, they're gonna hook me up with another rental and take care of it first thing in the morning. They want to be sure that they are addressing the problem and not just taking care of the TSB. Oh well, at least they are going to do it first thing in the morning.

He said it's new rotors, brake pads, and a special grease for the back plate of the pads. He also stated that this would not fix the problem but should reduce the howling. I'm going to let them fix it. They've always done a nice job even though they seem to be very by the books.
I know I am gonna regret writing this, but the "fix" completely eliminated the howling on mine (and it was pretty bad).

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I know I am gonna regret writing this, but the "fix" completely eliminated the howling on mine (and it was pretty bad).
Well that's good to hear. I'm hoping it will completely fix mine too. Time will tell. My service manager read the TSB to me and even in the TSB it states that this may not completely get rid of the noise issue but will "improve it." I'll post up later this weekend.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, my brake pads were not covered so make sure that they are correct on that one. I paid extra for pads. Just so you know before you go. The best thing for me though was that I was due for the 25k inspection. I got ALOT of stuff done while the CG was there. He drives AWESOME!

Kim

1 - 20 of 81 Posts