Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
There is a sticky at the top of this forum in regards to TSBs. I provided the number there, and will try to find the original thread in regards to this and post it here.:)

Edit: Here you go: "BR8005 FRONT BRAKE NOISE IN REVERSE TSB" . That is how it was listed on the invoice they gave me after the work was completed.
Here it is Briman, from the post above.

My brakes are REALLY trigger-happy. I start to think about touching the brake pedal, and I go thru the windshield! And it squeals when in reverse, but just when it's cold after sitting out overnight. It goes away quickly.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Folks, no more trigger brakes and no more Banshee! It is AWESOME!

Kim

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Folks, no more trigger brakes and no more Banshee! It is AWESOME!

Kim
Oh sweet! Mine is at the dealer and I'll get it back in the morning. I hope this works :bigthumb:. So let me get this straight. You've got no more SCREEEEEEEECH SCREECH SCREEEEEEEEEECH !! :rofl:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh sweet! Mine is at the dealer and I'll get it back in the morning. I hope this works :bigthumb:. So let me get this straight. You've got no more SCREEEEEEEECH SCREECH SCREEEEEEEEEECH !! :rofl:
Nope Froggy, No more SCREECHEEECHEE CHEEE OWEEE OWEE you stepped on my TOE!!! It is so quiet in the morning here now.

Kim:cheers:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm so happy to report that I'm officially SCREEEEEECH free!!!! Thank You Toyota, and Toyota of El Cajon, CA. :bigthumb:
Nice sound, huh????

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
usually in my experience if it is a TSB and the customer complains of symptoms found in TSB that is reason enough to do work. That is why it is TSB and not recall as every vehicle is not affected...

never had a dealer in 10 years tell me they would not do a TSB if I told them the symptoms... maybe they were ready to go home for the day...or it was payday :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got mine done with 2.5 yrs. & 32,000 miles. The warranty has been extended for this repair as stated earlier to 3yrs and 36,000 miles. Dealer did not know anything at first until he looked it up. All I had was a little clicking sound when backing up and squeak when stopping. Does anyone know of a TSB for the rear? I still have a pulsation (the dealer noticed it) from the rear but the dealer said that’s on me. I would say even if you breaks just squeak try and get this done.

TSB 0047-08
Replace front pads and rotors
BR8005 91/99 A85

Pad kit, disk, 1
Non-chlor brak, 1
Disk, fr 2
Clip, pin hold, 4
Disk brake cal, 1

I also had a 4 wheel alignment done as my right front tire was getting eaten up. Probably out from day one but I had to come up with $99 for that.

Anybody get the rear rotors covered also??

·
Registered
954 Posts
N.O.parrothead, here's what I posted on a similar thread:

Last month I had a four wheel alignment and tried to get my brakes repaired under the TSB. The guy said he would look into it. When he came back, he said my rig "has been under water and the back rotors are rusted over and that was causing the squeaking", "and I would have to pay to have the work done." I've never wheeled my rig and don't know where he came up with that theory. I told him to bring my rig-I was going home. Once at the house I inspected the supposed rusted rotors. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The next day I got a call from someone at toyota wanting to know how I liked the service. I told them about the service guy and what he said about the rotors. She seemed surprised and said she would check into it. About a couple of hours later I got a call from the service manager from the toy dealer I went to. He asked if I would give them another chance to "make things right". I went back and he fixed the brakes, no questions asked. He said the guy should have done that the first go-round. He loaned my wife and I a new toy to go shopping in. I drove all the gas out of that little car! My brakes don't squeak now and the 4 wheel align was a great improvement.
Alien

And you are right about the brakes being better than ever. I don't know what they did, but my brakes now seem to be lots better than before.
Alien

·
Registered
559 Posts
well, my brakes have squealed since day one, i i quired about the tsb last time it was in, they said they would order the parts, that it included:
new rotors
new pad clips
grease
and thats it, re-use pads...

i have NEVER seen any dealer or any repair shop replace rotors then re-use the old pads... wtf?

i see that many that have posted got pads r&r'd also, but only one person had to pay extra for pads.?,>?

any one take a pic of the rotor, or even look at it to make sure its still a vented rotor ( i mean center vents, not vented/crossdrilled) ?

i only have 20k miles, and as much as i woul dlike having the noise go away, i really dont like the idea of a half assed brake job, or just getting a crappy low quality rotor thrown on there.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
My dealership was totally cool about the whole thing. I called him on the phone at 40,000kms (24K miles) and he said "yup we have everything in stock...Come on in" Took a couple hours to do that and a servicing. I walked away happy with new brakes. Really eased the "trigger" effect as far as I can tell and no squeal.....Life is good.....especially with new brakes for free.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Joe, mine screamed like a Banshee from the day I brought him home, August 10, 2006. I took it back in twice, asking them to check it, and was told that it was due to the brake pads Toyota was using. I just put up with it.

Anyhow, this TSB eliminated the squealing and my brakes seem to me to be a lot tougher and not so trigger happy when I hit the brake pedal. I don't know if this was fixed with the 08s or what.

Kim:cheers:
I bought mine Aug. 7, 2006 and I've only experienced squeaking a few times while in reverse. I also get an occasional clicking from the brakes in reverse.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Just last week! I now have new front brakes a rotors FREE @ 26-k!!

Oh what a feeling!

Of course my frond end is still falling off

Oh what a feeling :-(

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I have an 07 nearing 10K miles, when do the brakes start squealing? Mine are quiet. Build date 6/07
Just tell them it squeaks in the morning while in reverse. And tell them that there is a TSB about it. They will do it and I doubt that they can reproduce the noise. But because there is a TSB on it, they will do it. I only had it squeal on me a couple of times in 30,000 miles. It honestly didn't bother me. But I did it anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sheesh, I wish I would have seen this before, Mine have squeaked since about 20K, badly, I changed the pads, the squeaker plates,and even went with after market pads......SQUEEEEEEEEEAK.......ohh its annoying. I am well out of warranty now at 49K.......Does the TSB still stand this late in the game?:mecry::mecry:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Went into the local dealer up here - mentioned TSB about the brakes - service guy said that it was perfectly normal that it squeaks first thing in the morning (surface rust he says) end of story- no replacement.....

21 - 40 of 81 Posts