Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks to the contributors to the Forum, I used the TSB info and got the new brakes. Overall, I noticed more control on braking, and even the "squish" sound that everybody seems to reference is disappeared or diminished significantly (anybody else notice?).

Taking advantage of the TSB solved more than the reverse sqweak.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I just know that my local dealer is going to give me crap about this TSB, but I will give them another chance. If they balk, I'll take my service elsewhere.
Try another dealer: my first one (Arlington, TX) acted mute on the subject and "needed to consult Toyota, wait for a Factory person to inspect and approve, never heard of that TSB, yada yada...". Moved to MT and the local dealer had a look at it and as soon as the parts arrived got the new brakes right away.

Bottom line: if your dealership doesn't accomodate you, find another one and let TOY know...

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Try another dealer: my first one (Arlington, TX) acted mute on the subject and "needed to consult Toyota, wait for a Factory person to inspect and approve, never heard of that TSB, yada yada...". Moved to MT and the local dealer had a look at it and as soon as the parts arrived got the new brakes right away.

Bottom line: if your dealership doesn't accomodate you, find another one and let TOY know...
It was very beneficial for me to print out the TSB and take it to the shop, no questions asked, they performed the work.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I'm looking for the official TSB to print out so I can give it to the service adviser when they say it's normal.
I've posted this before as have others, it's the Toyota Tech site:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...Oc%3d&TARGET=$SM$https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The only thing is, it's $10 for a days subscription. It has the entire list of Toyota TSB's. I found several and printed them all out and ended up getting almost $4000 worth of work done for free. Here's the thread:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/79400-tsb-work-my-baby.html

·
Premium Member
17,116 Posts
I went in last week to my local Toyota dealer and told them about the TSB on the front brakes and they ordered the parts. They replaced the front rotors and pads and the front brakes no longer squeal in reverse when stopping. Very happy with the results.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You know... this was a GREAT TSB!! I think that alot of our folks have gotten their issues with the squealing "BANSHEE" taken care of and well that is GREAT!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks!

Sometimes the brakes will squeak other times they won't. For example today I was trying to get the things to squeak but they wouldn't so I couldn't go in and ask for service.

·
Registered
246 Posts
At my last dealer service ,I told them about my howling reverse brakes (6/06) and of course they could not dublicate it, so they put in my "Permanent record" and said to let them know if it continiues. It does. I am going back to them tommorow. Nor.Cal.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Thanks!

Sometimes the brakes will squeak other times they won't. For example today I was trying to get the things to squeak but they wouldn't so I couldn't go in and ask for service.
At my last dealer service ,I told them about my howling reverse brakes (6/06) and of course they could not dublicate it, so they put in my "Permanent record" and said to let them know if it continiues. It does. I am going back to them tommorow. Nor.Cal.
You know, truth be told, my brakes VERY rarely made any noise and I'm not even sure I had this squeak everyone else has, but when I printed out the TSB and took it to the service dept they replaced what needed to be replaced under the TSB, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Really, what differece does it make to them. At least my local dealership doesn't have a problem doing warranty work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just had mine done by toyota and now no noise.:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was always aware of this TSB and wanted to report that I had this work completed under warranty.

My vehicle was approaching near 30k, and would admit that there were many times, but not often enough to be a nuisance that I would hear a brake noise/squeal from my front end. Being in the Midwest under the harshest of weather conditions--wet snow, rain, high humidity, dry summer-- I could never get a consistent "read" or feel for my front brakes. My rig was always garaged overnight and rarely parked outside under these weather elements, but when the front brakes did act up--only in reverse, usually after sitting overnight, it was a high pitch screech sound--kind of like that chalk board scene in "Jaws" and very loud. I'm sure my neighbors could hear it too.

As with any TSB and any dealership I was anticipating the "prove it" method as a determinating factor whether the dealer would honor the TSB. My FJ was within VIN number, year, and circumstances that would qualify the work to be done. I was greatly surprised to get approval upon mention, knowing that many on this forum had gotten dealer pushback or refusal to do the work. PM me if you are interested to know the dealer I used.

So low and behold, new front brake pads, new calipers, new rotors and new clips were replaced. The new brake pads I requested to be replaced (at my expense) since they essentially were doing an entire front brake job, even though I only had 30k miles of normal wear and tear. I visually inspected the worn pads and rotors and compared them to a new set and would say that based on my driving habits the worn set had about another half life left. I could not tell you exactly what causes the noise/squeal based on visual inspection.

Nonetheless, I am very pleased and wanted to share my positive experience with this warranty issue.

:)

·
Pitbabe Nut
109 Posts
called on it today. My vin is within range and miles at 29500. Dealer asked first thing. Then get the dreaded, yeah, we will take a look. I asked if they wanted the TSB number or any information on it. "no." the response.
I bet you money this will be a more than one trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
called on it today. My vin is within range and miles at 29500. Dealer asked first thing. Then get the dreaded, yeah, we will take a look. I asked if they wanted the TSB number or any information on it. "no." the response.
I bet you money this will be a more than one trip to the dealer to get it fixed.
the first time my dealer balks at a TSB will be his last opportunity... and then i'll contact Toyota customer service and let them know....

these dealers better wake up! there's nothing that prevents Toyota from doing a Chevy/Chrysler move and pull their dealership from them....

let them sell used cars LOL!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
So low and behold, new front brake pads, new calipers, new rotors and new clips were replaced. The new brake pads I requested to be replaced (at my expense) since they essentially were doing an entire front brake job, even though I only had 30k miles of normal wear and tear. I visually inspected the worn pads and rotors and compared them to a new set and would say that based on my driving habits the worn set had about another half life left. I could not tell you exactly what causes the noise/squeal based on visual inspection.
:)
I had this done two weeks ago. No problem at the dealer...just took it in told them of the TSB and they fixed, no questions asked.

I however did not get new calipers as the above post did. They replaced both front rotors and added some clips somewhere in there. It's now very quiet backing out of the drive in the mornings.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Will this still be done if my FJ is out of warranty? By a few weeks I might add..

·
Pitbabe Nut
109 Posts
had the work done. Took two visits. first one... 3 hrs. they did not "hear" the problem, but after I complained the service manager said they could fix it. Oh, bring it back next week as they did not have the parts.
Took the fj in today in fact. Work was done, but no paperwork???? Nothing to show me it had been done? Service manager was gone, but they shall hear from me. I need records to show the work has been done!!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts