Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the posts about the ABS issues, Tech Bulletin replacing front rotors/pad (which I had done) and other brake issues, but haven't seen much about the (seemingly front) brakes "grabbing". This doesn't occur often, but occasionally I have the OPOSITE issue of many where the brakes "grab" at lower speed, causing a more abrupt stop than anticipated...almost locking up for a brief second.

More of an annoying trait, but has anyone else experienced this?

My truck has around 50k and i noticed this starting about 5 to 10 k ago-

·
Admin
8,448 Posts
(not an expert so take the advice for what it's worth :lol:)

Take out the ABS fuse and drive around to see if you can duplicate the error. That way you can determine if it's mechanical or something to do with your ABS system.

Good luck.

:cheers:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mine as been doing this from time to time ever since I brought it home.

Every time I get out of the car wash, the brakes becomes too sensible for 2 or 3 brakings... Or when it's really cold at startup...

It's as if there was a buildup of pressure when you tap lightly on the brakes a few time in a row...

My brain is used to it and compensate automatically. I have to concentrate for my consciousness to notice it...

In any case, I prefer to have more brake than no brake at all, like when VSC and ABS fight over my safety while my truck goes through the intersection!

:cheers:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mine just started feeling "mushy" then they grab with light pressure as if I slammed the brakes on.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Maybe you are just hitting the brake pedal too fast, activating the "brake assist" panic-brake function. FJ, like many new cars, has the "brake assist" feature. If you hit the pedal fast, it will automatically go to maximum braking. It is sensitive to SPEED, not FORCE. You don't need to press the pedal hard, all you have to do is to hit it fast.
If this happens all the time, maybe your brakes (or rather the booster) need to be adjusted to make it less sensitive to the "brake assist".

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Mine did it before the lift and I almost sold it a week after I bought it. Took it to my buddy he said lift it so I lifted it and it hasn't happened since.

Katekebo Thanks Great info

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you are just hitting the brake pedal too fast, activating the "brake assist" panic-brake function. FJ, like many new cars, has the "brake assist" feature. If you hit the pedal fast, it will automatically go to maximum braking. It is sensitive to SPEED, not FORCE. You don't need to press the pedal hard, all you have to do is to hit it fast.
If this happens all the time, maybe your brakes (or rather the booster) need to be adjusted to make it less sensitive to the "brake assist".
I'm pretty "lightfooted" but will pay attention next time to see if I need a "mod" (to my behaviour)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine does the same thing, if i am lightly braking going down a hill it will be light brake then all of the sudden, without applying any more pressure, brake really hard for a brief second, then back to normal braking. On pavement it dosnt bother me all that much but on the trail it does it on downhills and locks everything up and i begin to slide and its just a hassle. I hate it

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine does the same thing, if i am lightly braking going down a hill it will be light brake then all of the sudden, without applying any more pressure, brake really hard for a brief second, then back to normal braking. On pavement it dosnt bother me all that much but on the trail it does it on downhills and locks everything up and i begin to slide and its just a hassle. I hate it
Bingo--it's a brief lock up as if the ABS stops functioning--while braking lightly--just "grabs" the rotor presumably.

I guess we're an anomaly and it's not a widespread issue

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've had the same issues at low speed. Sometimes it's on basic, wet pavement, other times it happens off road and actually just locks the wheels up (no ABS). Luckily I carry nothing in the truck that could be construed as a projectile because, as you guys know, it brakes hard when it does this.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Have you ever changed your brake fluid? If you have an 07, it's probably about time to do it. Not sure if it'll solve your problem but it's good preventive maintenance and it may help.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had the same issues at low speed. Sometimes it's on basic, wet pavement, other times it happens off road and actually just locks the wheels up (no ABS). Luckily I carry nothing in the truck that could be construed as a projectile because, as you guys know, it brakes hard when it does this.
Yeah-I've only noticed it on super-slow speeds--it just "grabs" and locks-up. I'm usually doing like 1 mph, so there's no projectile risk--

I'm @ 50-k miles, so this spring I plan on cleaning and inspecting all brake parts and changing all fluids that are original (PS, coolant, brake fluid) but I don't think that will affect this specific problem.

I did have the TSB service done on the brakes around 38-k...I didn't notice this issue BEFORE that--Maybe the pads are softer and "grab" a little more than the originals, but it seems the ABS would let loose within milliseconds---

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im going to change my pads when the weather gets better, i will probably change my brake fluid then, along with all of my other fluids and such

·
Registered
109 Posts
My passenger side wheel bearing went out while my wife was driving and lost all braking capabilities so I replaced my wheel bearing now it doesn't matter wether I'm driving slow or normal average road speeds when I apply the brakes to slow down it locks up and nose dives hard. I usually slowly start applying my brakes a decent distance away from the spot I plan to stop and when I get closer to my stoping area I'll apply them a little more without ever actually letting off the brakes and that's when I get the nose dive. Any suggestions anybody?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had this issue several times - braking harder than normal and the brakes locked up on me briefly. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. Did some research and common consensus was the factory shocks and all the nose dive they create has something to do with it. Throws off the abs or brake assist or something. So I upgraded to bilstein adjustables to level it and just put better shocks up front and it hasn't happened since. Granted it has only been a month, but I think it helped.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
As others have suggested, what you're experiencing is likely the "brake assist" feature. It's pretty common. I hate it and I have no idea why the safety nazis think it helps. It's dangerous as hell!

I've got about 85K on my FJ and it does that "emergency stop" thing from time to time. It usually happens at low speed in heavy traffic (Atlanta), when I quickly tap the brake to accommodate someone changing into my lane, for example. Instead of getting just a little tap to slow down a little and open up a slot for a car, I get full panic, nose dive, tire screech brakes as if I has jammed the brakes to the floor. Aggravates the hell out of me and spills my coffee, throws my stuff into the floor, and nearly causes the car behind me to rear-end me.

To Toyota and all other vehicle designers: the character of vehicle brakes should never change! I should get the same feel, effect, pressure, and predictable response out of my brake pedal every time I press it. Take the computers off of my brakes please.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts