Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Admin
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've started making bread at camp. We're exploring different recipes and ways of doing things. So far we've just been using tinfoil and throwing it on our grill over the fire or directly in the fire.

Here's a good video from Ronny Dahl where he's using a dutch oven. We'll likely end up getting a dutch oven next year.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I live in California and when its dry camp fires are a no-no so I bought myself a Coleman oven. It fits right over one of my Coleman stove burners and I was really impressed with how even it cooked. Nothing like hot biscuits in the morning...Definitely recommend...

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,834 Posts
My step brother gave me one of those Coleman ovens probably 25 years ago and we used it to make the "tube" biscuits, orange rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc. and it worked pretty good. It took a few tries to get the temperature figured out with the stove and oven as the thermometer on the oven was way off so we had some burnt bottoms on things, but overall it was good. I've seen videos of people baking cakes, cookies, lasagna, meats, etc. in them now too with good results.

I've had rolls and bread both made in Dutch ovens and they were really good. My nephews Scout leader made them and I watched him. He used the "tube" rolls also and pre-made dough just to speed things up for camp. You can also make biscuits in a cast iron skillet over the stove if you use a lid or make a foil tent over the top of the skillet to help keep the heat in. Now they have those fire proof material "tents" for use with Dutch ovens or skillets on a stove. You put them over the top and it helps keep the heat in and circulates it to help brown the top. On some stuff you might need to remove the lid to help brown the top and just use the tent for a few minutes so that the heat can get to the food easier. I haven't used one of those, but I've read about them and watched several videos on them and they look pretty good. Camp Chef and Volcano are two of the places that I know of that carry them.

We made some of those "tube" orange rolls out camping one time years ago with a round metal cake pan and some foil over a campfire. It worked pretty good except for burning the bottoms a bit. We figured out that you needed to get some coals off to the side and then have a grate or something to set the pan on up above the coals and then make a top over the pan with the foil and we also used a bigger piece kind of propped up over above the pan a bit and down the sides with a few inches of space around the pan. That worked good. Nothing like rolling out of your sleeping bag on the beach sand next to the lake and then baking up orange rolls for breakfast.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I watched that one this morning, and posted it in the Ronny Dahl thread.
I enjoy seeing all his videos including the cooking ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts