Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they advertise a deep fording depth for the stock vehicle, they need to relocate all breathers above that line - preferably as high as possible. This is a fairly simple mod and many of us have already done it, but it would be even simpler to redesign the breather locations in the stock setup.

The pulleys that get damaged as a result of water fording also come to mind. A good place to invest a little more for quality stock parts that will increase the reliability and water survivability of the vehicle. They have come very close to making one of the most rugged vehicles available and a few minor improvements will help greatly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
x2

I cant agree with this more considering that i am one of the individuals who now has a new transmission in his vehicle due to the poor location of the breathers as well as new pulleys.

In addition to the relocation/quality improvement of these pieces, I think it is crucial that Toyota makes sure that their staff is properly trained on these issues as well. I could have saved a lot of time and anger if the "Field service Engineer" knew what he was talking about. When my transmission was damaged, I pointed out the breathers that are already positioned high up in the engine bay and was never corrected by the Engineer that should have known this vehicle inside and out. Had he known, he could have pointed out where the breathers really are and I would have gone through insurance from the start. This would have saved everyone involved time, money, and agrivation.

I love my truck and will continue to use it the way it was intended.

I will not however buy another Toyota considering the lack of product knowledge and support for their customers.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Agreed, they put one breather in the engine compartment, why don't they just put all the breather in a higher location. That would be a nice factory mod.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Agreed, they put one breather in the engine compartment, why don't they just put all the breather in a higher location. That would be a nice factory mod.:cheers:
It's as if they knew it was an issue, but the placement of the breathers was on a friday and there was a party that night. So those crazy Japanese moved two breathers, said done, went out and drank too much saki, came in Monday morning, and said, moving on!!:cheers:

·
Registered
952 Posts
i agree with the new pulleys, they are necessary.
This would be an easy retrofit. Can't possibly imagine how many have been replaced under warranty (TSBs)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts