Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been asked, but has anyone bridged the factory sub amp to work on a single voice coil sub?

Just wanting to know if this would work.

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I ask is that I pulled the factory sub from the box and it is a dual voice coil sub. One set of wires on one side and another set on the other.

I figured it was a two channel amp. Hmmmmm.....

Well if I can't bridge it, can I just use one set of the wires? Say for a single voice coil sub upgrade?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello BigShot,
I was also looking for an answer to this very question and i have spent searching for hours without one. All i see are useless responses like "Why don't you use a Dual Voice Coil instead" or "Why only replace the sub and not the amp".

Well i had enough and went in to Bridge the Amp, i used a JBL GTO 804 (8") single voice coil sub and the result?. Sounds like Crap, very little and distorted sound. I ended up using only one "Channel" on the Amp while i install my new MTX 300 mono.

I haven't been able to find the specs on the factory amp anywhere, i'm not sure if its really a 2 channel amp or anything else.

But there you have it, bridging wont work.

best regards
Javier

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Land Cruiser 200 2014. I am very happy with its stock sound system especially after five years speakers got even better . I play bass, and felt it would be good to add some ultra low frequencies to the system.

I bridged my Toyota amplifier to hook up my 12' 4Ohm subwoofer and it works perfect.
Mind you, two rear channels are not suitable for subwoofer as they have low frequency cut off. They produce mid and high frequencies only.

Two front channels (front door low frequency drivers) have enough power to run a 12" 100W sub taking positive from the right channel and negative from the left channel. The front channels have high frequencies cut off which is good for subwoofer applications.

Still I added a coil to cut low mid frequencies going into the sub. The stock front door mid bass drivers reproduce those frequencies quite well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts