Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 FJ Cruiser and I've got a 1973 FJ40. I love Toyota's and so does my whole family (dad = '75 FJ40, '86 mini / brother = two 4runners).

My suggestions for the FJC would probably be best designed on an entirely new platform. It's a capable rig right out of the box and even though it has a couple of styling characteristics of the 40 series Land Cruiser, it's simply a different animal altogether. They're like apples and oranges. So if the FJC is an apple, it's time for Toyota give us the orange!

2009 Toyota Land Cruiser concept

Body: Similiar to FJ40. Have two doors, a removable top, a fold down windshield, headlight bezel. I prefer the tailgate in the rear instead of the ambulance doors. Keep the styling similar to the old 40's.

Motor: Just give me a Turbo Diesel option please! This is a vehicle made for work and fun. Torque for towing and lugging around.

Transmission: Low first gear and overdrive. Space the rest in between however you see fit. Just make it yota strong.

Transfer case: I know double cases are probably too much to ask for with a factory option so I'll just request that it be 4:1. But at least give us enough room behind the case so we can add the second one ourselves. Let's keep Marlin in buisness. And none of this chain crap. Give us some gears.

Axles: Solid front axle with high-pinion third member. E-lockers front and rear. And you can still give us A-trac. 4 wheel disc brakes. Manual locking hubs. Give us 35 splines too!

Suspension: Do some serious R&D on the suspension so we can get the best on-road manners without sacrificing offroad performance. Leaf, 3link, 4link, whatever. Keep it low but give us clearance for 33" tires right off the lot.

Other: Make sure all lighting is well protected. We don't need plasitc bumperettes and we don't need crappy approach and depature angles. Make sure all suspension mounts are strong and protected. Most people can upgrade bolt-on skid plates but a lot of people don't wanna have stuff welded on. Put a family cage in for protection and keep the colors non-metallic so we can touch it up.

You don't have to make everything "rockcrawler friendly" from the factory. All I ask is that you design in a way that gives our vendors an easy solution to the things we will want.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I've got a 2007 FJ Cruiser and I've got a 1973 FJ40. I love Toyota's and so does my whole family (dad = '75 FJ40, '86 mini / brother = two 4runners).

My suggestions for the FJC would probably be best designed on an entirely new platform. It's a capable rig right out of the box and even though it has a couple of styling characteristics of the 40 series Land Cruiser, it's simply a different animal altogether. They're like apples and oranges. So if the FJC is an apple, it's time for Toyota give us the orange!

Body: Similiar to FJ40. Have two doors, a removable top, a fold down windshield, headlight bezel. I prefer the tailgate in the rear instead of the ambulance doors. Keep the styling similar to the old 40's.

Motor: Just give me a Turbo Diesel option please! This is a vehicle made for work and fun. Torque for towing and lugging around.

Transmission: Low first gear and overdrive. Space the rest in between however you see fit. Just make it yota strong.

Transfer case: I know double cases are probably too much to ask for with a factory option so I'll just request that it be 4:1. But at least give us enough room behind the case so we can add the second one ourselves. Let's keep Marlin in buisness. And none of this chain crap. Give us some gears.

Axles: Solid front axle with high-pinion third member. E-lockers front and rear. And you can still give us A-trac. 4 wheel disc brakes. Manual locking hubs. Give us 35 splines too!

Suspension: Do some serious R&D on the suspension so we can get the best on-road manners without sacrificing offroad performance. Leaf, 3link, 4link, whatever. Keep it low but give us clearance for 33" tires right off the lot.

Other: Make sure all lighting is well protected. We don't need plasitc bumperettes and we don't need crappy approach and depature angles. Make sure all suspension mounts are strong and protected. Most people can upgrade bolt-on skid plates but a lot of people don't wanna have stuff welded on. Put a family cage in for protection and keep the colors non-metallic so we can touch it up.

You don't have to make everything "rockcrawler friendly" from the factory. All I ask is that you design in a way that gives our vendors an easy solution to the things we will want.
I agree with the spirit of your post and many of your suggestions, but I actually think that Toyota has already achieved the near-perfect balance between on-road and off-road manners in the FJ's suspension. You cant' have it all...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree with the spirit of your post and many of your suggestions, but I actually think that Toyota has already achieved the near-perfect balance between on-road and off-road manners in the FJ's suspension. You cant' have it all...
I agree with you too. It would be great to see all these things, but you have to remember the on road necessities as well

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You correct in terms of an IFS platform. If you want an IFS rig that will perform double duty as a DD and weekend warrior the FJC works great as is.:bigthumb:

That's really why I suggested my concept as an entirely new vechicle. The building blocks for me are:
1. solid axles with lockers
2. removable top
3. lower gears in the t-case
4. motor with great low-end torque

Mix the above in with today's tech advancements and you've got a vehicle that the offroad community will stand up and cheer for. I don't need a truck that handles like a vette. I just want something that's not going to beat me to death in case I need to make a 200 mile trip to the trail head. And being able to carry on a conversation inside the cabin at highway speeds would also be nice. :)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts

There is also a two door version, Gasoline or diesel and a turbo diesel, and of course a Truck too. Just not in the USA

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Great idea! They'd probably sell 1000 of them.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I agree they should bring back the old heritage of the older land cruisers and put it back into the FJ!:rocker:

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Great idea! They'd probably sell 1000 of them.
Or, they'd sell just as many as Jeep does Rubicons....which they can't keep on the lots.

Good suggestions, IMO.

Sean

·
Registered
358 Posts
The FJ cruiser has been an awesome gate way drug for off road enthusiast, both Toyota loyal and for non Toyota buyers. But as great as the FJC is it's just too wide for a lot of trails and the IFS kills it. I run with jeeps off roading all the time, I can do the same things they can but not always as easy. Ever since I bought the FJc I have wanted to get an old FJ40 to really take off roading to a new level, but I want something reliable and modern. I would consider buying a jeep if they could actually make one that is reliable and a great daily driver.
Please Toyota, I beg you bring back the FJ40, don't make me go over to the dark side and buy a Jeep

Make these evil thoughts go away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts