Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just surfing the web and found this site:

Toyota Trail Teams

It contains vids of the Toyota Trail Teams at various events.

It seems that:

1. They, the Trail Teams, ALWAYS drew a large crowd (great advertising for Toyota)

2. They got ALOT of people interested in off-roading

3. They instructed people on the finer points of utilizing their beloved FJ's to their full capabilities.

4. They were great ambassadors for Toyota itself and considering the current "state of affairs" and public perception of the company, it would not hurt Toyota to have such ambassadors of fun and public relations back in their court.

Thinking of the little bit of money Toyota may have saved by disbanding the Teams, it may make sense to bring them back, and now is as good a time as any. I think it would help people ease back into the Toyota family by feeling like they are really a part of the Toyota "family" by hanging with the Teams and attending their events, in what was an enjoyable, friendly and educational environment...seems like "the good ol days".....

Just my thoughts....

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I highly doubt you will see the trail teams back in action in the next 5 years even. Toyota is in a BIG pile of doodoo right now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Regardless of whether they will or won't. It was a great thing while they had it. Great people. Every one of them.

It would be a really nice marketing thing if they did reinstate the Trail Teams though.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I highly doubt you will see the trail teams back in action in the next 5 years even. Toyota is in a BIG pile of doodoo right now.
I understand Toyota's "current situation", that what makes me think that this would be a good thing, to re-instate this program. I mean, as long as the recall stays "as is" and does not include the FJ, the 4 Runner and the Land Cruisers, I think that this is the perfect time and the perfect vehicles for a good PR run. Not to mention, it would be a good way to entertain the Toyota 4wd community, which, I would say is among the most loyal Toyota fans.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i think the link is broken
Toyota Trail Teams

here is the URL: fjcruisertrailteams.com/podcast.xml

If you are getting to the page and download the vids, use Quicktime viewer/player to open them, I found that works best.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Trail teams were awesome, but to toyota they were just a commercial. To us they were trainers, freinds and great gift givers. I wish ALL the vids were still availiable, I wonder who has em all now.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trail teams were awesome, but to toyota they were just a commercial. To us they were trainers, freinds and great gift givers. I wish ALL the vids were still availiable, I wonder who has em all now.
x2

But sometimes a "commercial" is just what is needed, from a corporate viewpoint. And I can tell you this, I have good friends in different areas of the country (Colorado, Washington state, California, Vermont, Pennsylvania) and each one of them attended at least one Trail Teams event and were blown away at the 4x4/off road/Toyota knowledge the members demonstrated. They commented on how friendly the guys were, how fun each event was and what a great truck the FJ was. Only one of my friends had been in an FJ prior to attending the events and after, they were all fans. So much so, that a few bought their FJs based on their experience with the Trail Teams....so that is why I say a "commercial" is a good thing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree that the Trail Teams are definitely missed. Back when I first got my FJ the Trail Team events were some of the outings that I most looked forward to. I recall hearing recently that Toyota wanted to start bringing back more fun and enthusiasm to their vehicles. It seems to me that a lot of people feel enthusiasts=sports cars, but I dont think this has to be the case, especially when you consider the following of vehicles like the FJ. Look around at all of the Toyota 4x4 groups (TLCA, TTORA, etc) that could benefit from the enthusiasm that the Trail Teams carried with them across the country a few years ago. If Toyota wants to generate more enthusiasm for their image and products (at least their trucks), the Trail Teams would be a great way to do it!

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Toyota never used the Trail Teams to full effect IMHO. If you speak to the people who were part of that program, they'll tell you the same thing.

It was a subcontracted advertising program back when Toyota had BIG BUCKS to spend. I have no idea what the FJ sales profile is like, but most people don't use them on the trail. Many drivers feel they're sort of a niche soccer mom vehicle and never take them off pavement.

I doubt we'll see the Trail Teams again.:mecry:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Toyota never used the Trail Teams to full effect IMHO. If you speak to the people who were part of that program, they'll tell you the same thing.

It was a subcontracted advertising program back when Toyota had BIG BUCKS to spend. I have no idea what the FJ sales profile is like, but most people don't use them on the trail. Many drivers feel they're sort of a niche soccer mom vehicle and never take them off pavement.

X2..... Could not have said it better.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I agree about the part that Toyota did not use the Trail Teams to full effect.

So, Maybe they should promote Trail Teams to heavily include all Toyota 4x4s...Land Cruisers, 4 Runner, Tacoma, FJs, etc...?

As far as "Many drivers feel they're sort of a niche soccer mom vehicle and never take them off pavement"......I would like to ask those drivers if they thought that way after they had a few of the rigs owned by members here in the forum pull up behind them on any given day? :jester:

·
Registered
952 Posts
The trail teams were a good advertising tool for Toyota. I know they were popular when the fj first came out. When they visited an area they always had freebies to hand out and they would let others examine and drive their fjs. Yes, I think Toyota should bring them back. They need some good PR now more than ever.

Alien

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
I made some great friends with the trails team crew! Muddygirl, Woody, Connor, we had great times :cheers:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I made some great friends with the trails team crew! Muddygirl, Woody, Connor, we had great times :cheers:
Athena, is Muddygirl still around? I haven't seen her posting anything lately. I remember her being part of the Trail Teams.

Alien

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Athena, is Muddygirl still around? I haven't seen her posting anything lately. I remember her being part of the Trail Teams.

Alien
Yes she's still around, just a little quieter now.:lol: Mo is good people as are all of the Trail Teams guys and gals. They made our events that much more special. I miss them greatly. Toyota has bigger fish to fry right now. I stand by them 100%. I own three Toyotas, 2 FJC's and an 05 Tacoma. Never a complaint. When I have a problem it's been resolved easily and efficiently. I actually just took a Tundra for a spin.....now I want one of those as well. :cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes she's still around, just a little quieter now.:lol: Mo is good people as are all of the Trail Teams guys and gals. They made our events that much more special. I miss them greatly. Toyota has bigger fish to fry right now. I stand by them 100%. I own three Toyotas, 2 FJC's and an 05 Tacoma. Never a complaint. When I have a problem it's been resolved easily and efficiently. I actually just took a Tundra for a spin.....now I want one of those as well. :cheers::cheers:
Thanks for the update Slither. I too stand by Toyota and am comfortable knowing my fj is a well engineered truck and that I will get many years of service from it.

Alien

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I fully agree Toyota could benefit by reinstating the Trail Teams. But I also think it's darn strange they are still building a Trail Teams Edition FJC after firing the real trail team. To me that is just plain crazy.

Ace

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts

Alien
She's fairly active on facebook ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts