Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mecry:I could use some help in choosing new front shocks. I installed a 3" readylift kit on friday and I blew out both front shocks 4hrs later(doing 50 in the woods-hit a big bump in the road)I also broke the pass. boot. I realized the lift kit compresses the shocks but i didnt think they blow out. Anyone know which shocks I should get? The stock shocks got really tight after the lift. I might need smaller ones I guess. sorry the pics are really small. thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Holy small pictures...lol...If you're putting that kind of abuse on your suspension you probably need to go with something pretty high end...Icon long travel or a Fox setup. The FJ is a fat little piggy that isn't meant to be thrown through bumps at 50mph, cheapest/best suspension for under $1k is probably going to be an Old Man Emu setup, but even then, at 50 in the bumps it may not hold up...

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're doing anything with many high speed bumps, you want a coilover that has an external reservoir so that they don't heat up quickly, enhancing ride quality off road and on. King has a very good setup for a little more than 2k (Which will replace front and back), but this forum will tend to be partial towards Icon or Old Man Emu. You can't go wrong with any of those. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
itty bitty pictures. you will definitely need a higher end suspension set up for that kind of driving. Icon, King, Fox, Radflo, etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey- Thanks for all ur help guys. Im new to fj forums- sorry about the sucky pics. yeah i think i might need to replace the whole lift kit with a higher end one or i need to drive slower....tough choice. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Where in NY are you located?

For a somewhat local vendor check out Camel4x4.com. Located in NJ so shipping is pretty good.

Also since you damaged the CV boot I hope your FJ is parked or you already fixed it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bet this was a spacer lift that was WAY over extended! I think this would of happen with any kind of shocks at that kind of speed!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Im running King now and had ICON. I agree with the guys above that if thats youre driving style you will need to step up to a coil over with a res. The Walker Evans shocks that All PRO sells is a great product that many people on the forum use and love. I went with King and so far really love mine and theres no shock set up more proven than King when it comes to off roading.

The OME is another great option but not for your driving style. You may need to look at UCA/LCAs while your at it because the stock stuff isnt gonna hold up to that kind of abuse. Good luck and sorry about your issues.

·
Registered
406 Posts
if thats youre driving style you will need to step up to a coil over with a res.
Now this brings up a question I was going to ask. At what point do you need resevoir shocks? Got it if you're running some serious washboard or rough terrain for hours on end, but for your average everyday wheeler/weekend warrior are they really going to make a difference?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have got the Sway Away set up on all 4 corners, springs and shocks. They are not remote resevoir, but I have been wholly impressed with their performance so far at high and low speed. Are they worth a look?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have got the Sway Away set up on all 4 corners, springs and shocks. They are not remote resevoir, but I have been wholly impressed with their performance so far at high and low speed. Are they worth a look?
That's what I'm looking at getting. Do you know if you can add resevoirs later on (at least to the coilovers)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts