Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got up there a little after 2 pm. Was back on the trailer a little before 4.

Had a GREAT time! Thanks to everyone who helped (especially Sedona Rick for actually going by Morgan road and hwy 179 to check parking for me).

Beautiful trail......I'd actually go again. We wish we hadn't had to leave so late that morning b/c of the rolling closures on I-17 (due to the traffic....took us 3 hours to get up there) so that we could have enjoyed the sights more and not felt rushed. Since I'd never done the trail before, I wasn't sure how long it would take and didn't know if other trails shot off of it to the point you could wander off and get lost.

I was very surprised how much like Moab the traction was, too bad the actual slickrock type wheeling is so minimal in comparison and so much is off limits.....

Lots of traffic. Followed a Farabees Jeep in to the trail, had a group of 7 different vehicles pass us at one point, a few rhinos, TONS of very friendly Pink Jeep tours, and pair of BUILT Rubicons which we talked with for a while (odd story there), and various other vehicles. I was actually surprised at how nice the tour guides were with pink jeep after hearing so many horror stories.

I found all the obstacles I was looking for except for this one crack:

I thought it might be after the merry go round type rock, but wasn't sure so I didn't want to wander off trail. I asked one of the Pink Jeep tour guides about the other crack, but he only knew about the one.

I didn't get many pics. That was another thing.....I guess you really should have a red rock pass to run the trail since it's required if you plan to stop. We didn't know this so we didn't get one.....which meant we legally couldn't stop and get out to hike to different vistas or stop and have lunch etc.

I crossed the crack I did find about every way you can think of....straddled it down first, then up (to the amusement of the Pink Jeep tour), then at an angle, then backwards at an angle, then straight across the deepest part, then reversed.

We didn't get to climb the staircase (though traction is so good I can't see that being difficult) b/c there were Pink Jeeps behind us.

Great day overall and just wanted to say, "Thanks!" to everyone who gave advice and helped out in making our trip a success.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you can post someone at the top before you go down and they'll stop traffic while you climb it.

The Flagstaff 4wheelers had a night run (full moon) last Saturday night. Guess it's sort of a regular thing. Might do a search for Flagstaff 4wheelers forum if you want to hook up with them....though you may be looking for a little solitude.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Very cool Sean!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts